New Member 1st warmoth build - Red Dye Strat

veemoth

Hi
First post, first build, first everything!

Have had this brewing for a while, reading these forums, many hours on the builder and the showcase and ended up with the need for red HSS strat. Finally saved the $$$$....
Looking for a versatile strat (hence HSS) - ranging from some classic rock (ACDC etc, nothing much heavier) ,  Floyd, Straits, even blues/country, I'm not too fussy - doesnt have to be spot on tonewise - day to day its only going through a 5W Laney Lionheart bedroom amp.

Here is what I mocked up from builder/showcase ...1 body, 2 neck options (note i dont know how to get the pics in the body of the post - advice welcome!)

I couldn't decide on the necks...so ended up ordering both just in case i regretted it later!!! (the unused one wont go to waste...i forsee build #2 already  :evil4: )

BODY
QM on swamp ash
Red dye top + cream binding
Trans red back

NECK 1 (showcase)
Pau Ferro on Pau Ferro
59 round back
cream dots
SS frets
Grover/gotoh

NECK 2 (showcase)
Birdseye maple on birdseye maple
Standard thin
MOP dots
non ss frets
Grover/gotoh

PICKUPS
Something like Bareknuckle Mule/Mothers Milk HSS set

TREM
Wilk VS100

Here's what arrived.... (picture may not appear here!!)

First decision : What neck do you guys think is a better choice? I am leaning to the Pau ferro (less busy visually, feels great, like the profile)

Also.. any comments on the pickup set, or just in general? Still gotta order the non-wood bits, so open to suggestions...

Attachments

• Virt-Birdseye.jpg
    Virt-Birdseye.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Virt-Pau-Ferro.jpg
    Virt-Pau-Ferro.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1-body-2-necks.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 131
1st welcome to the funhouse  :icon_biggrin:

Great looking 1st up build, you have everything spot on  :headbang1:  Love it !!

Pau-Ferro  :icon_thumright:

SS Frets    :icon_thumright:

Wilkinson trem  :icon_thumright:

Go the Pau ferro  :blob7:
Go the Bare Knuckles  :hello2:

Perfect build .......

What Nut ya got on it ?

I'd go Locking tuners ... But thats just what I always use.

Ar ha ... another Aussie  :icon_thumright: theres a few of us here  :icon_biggrin:  welcome from Sydney

Welcome.  Very nice combo you got there.  I would go with the Pau F.  All the way.

Welcome to the board...its addictive.

Thanks for the quick replies and the welcomes  :icon_thumright: ,  and howdy Updown from Newcastle NSW!

I thought the Pau Ferro might be the popular choice

Both nuts (yes those ones) are GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - so should go nice with the Wilkinson.

What color hardware?  I am sure the gold fans will unite but gold would look killer....black too.

Are you sold on a white pickguard?  Seems to take away from thay fine maple cap.

both necks are dead sexy with that body. Normally I would be inclined to say pau! pau! pau!, but they both work great. If you think that build number 2 is going to be more traditional looking/sounding/feeling, I'd put the maple on that one.  :eek:ccasion14:

DMRACO said:
What color hardware?  I am sure the gold fans will unite but gold would look killer....black too.

Are you sold on a white pickguard?  Seems to take away from thay fine maple cap.

Ooh...more things to think about

Must admit i am not a huge gold fan  :toothy11:  As this was first build i was going to be conservative with chrome hardware and "traditional" (as far as possible) look of red strat / white (or pearl) pickguard .  Were you thinking of another variant of white  (cream etc) or something totally different? I'd love to enhance the maple top!

I say, buy another body and use them both.... :laughing7:

But as much as I love raw necks and pau, I say the maple looks best with that body... :dontknow:

And welcome... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
I say, buy another body and use them both.... :laughing7:

Dont worry - the leftover neck will be used! Just got to build a strategy to deal with the "loved one"  :laughing7:

Another quick question - spent time today fitting the necks into the socket and the Pau one drops in ok (a little resistance, but nice snug fit). The maple doesnt want to go so easily. .. and yes I am dropping from the top, not sliding up (I have been reading this forum studiously:icon_smile:)
How hard should I force before considering removal of wood?

veemoth said:
Another quick question - spent time today fitting the necks into the socket and the Pau one drops in ok (a little resistance, but nice snug fit). The maple doesnt want to go so easily. .. and yes I am dropping from the top, not sliding up (I have been reading this forum studiously:icon_smile:)
How hard should I force before considering removal of wood?
I'm assuming the maple has a hard finish on it, if so, it will be a bit thicker in all directions. To keep from damaging the body, it shouldn't hurt to use some sand paper, like 400 grit or 600 grit, on the edges around the heel to remove some of the finish... :icon_thumright:

If you were trying to make a doubleneck you got the wrong body :)

Ok, i'm going with the pau ferro neck.... :guitaristgif:

All the bits have arrived and i've done a few "dry" mockups and all is looking good, however one little thing bothering me...  :icon_scratch:  :help:

When this is all assembled and bolted up, it looks like i wont be able to  remove the pickguard without removing or loosening the neck. This bothers me a little as I wanted to play around with different caps/tone pots on the HSS config to get the best setup/tone.

Got a Warmoth 22 fret pro neck, Warmoth HSS body and Warmoth HSS pickguard. Have i done something wrong? :sad:

veemoth said:

All the bits have arrived and i've done a few "dry" mockups and all is looking good, however one little thing bothering me...  :icon_scratch:  :help:

When this is all assembled and bolted up, it looks like i wont be able to  remove the pickguard without removing or loosening the neck. This bothers me a little as I wanted to play around with different caps/tone pots on the HSS config to get the best setup/tone.

Got a Warmoth 22 fret pro neck, Warmoth HSS body and Warmoth HSS pickguard. Have i done something wrong? :sad:

Welcome Veemoth!

1. Go for the maple neck!
2. I vote for black hardware and locking tuners.
3. Needs a Floyd.  :icon_biggrin:

Regarding the pick guard and electronics tinkering, for easy removal - you should have gotten a 21 fret neck.
I really wouldn't recommend constantly removing the neck for any reason... never mind the setup/action headaches.

:rock-on:

veemoth said:

Beautiful guitar! I had decades of working on Fender Strats but on my first Warmoth build I was also surprised (and frustrated) to find I had to loosen the 22 fret neck to get the pickguard on/off. You didn't do anything wrong, it's just how 22 fret necks are (most of my Fenders were 21 fret necks OR had a universal rout in the body). With a bigger neck pickup rout you CAN squeeze the pickguard on/off under the neck overhang so now I always order HSH bodies. I ended up enlarging the rout on that first Warmoth build myself using a Dremel with a router attachment (picture attached). It's not pretty but it works. Perhaps I tweak electronics more than other people but I literally was changing electronics on this blue Strat yesterday, I'm glad I can get the pickguard on/off easily.

Attachments

• PickupRout_small.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 25
veemoth said:

No, nothing wrong. That's just the way things are.

The thing to do is put threaded inserts in the neck, and use machine screws to hold it on rather than wood screws. You end up with a tighter neck joint, and you can take it apart repeatedly without hurting anything.

Look through the "DIY Tips" folder for some discussion of inserts.

Thanks for the tips John and Cagey. I'll be doing at least one of those at some stage. But i am hoping this sounds perfect (crosses fingers) off the bat, and won't need to change a thing for some time! Now back to it.

OK some progress. I have been awake at night  :sad: at the thought of having to remove the neck any time I  wanted to make any pickguard/electronics adjustments.
However, the thought of enlarging the neck pickup route with no previous experience also scared the sh*t out of me  :tard:

Thanks to some info from JohnFV I slowly worked up the courage to enlarge the neck pickup route. (Thanks John  :icon_thumright:)

So went and bought myself a Dremel and router attachment/bits and some chunks of wood , and practiced for a few hours.

When the time came, on went the protective tape, and also an old t shirt for general protection (on the guitar, not me) Pic attached (guitar not me!).
I took it slow and steady and about an hour later, voila, enlarged neck pickup , no damage done. Pic attached (with shielding)..but its pretty neat under there, honest.

Pickguard now comes off without removing neck  :hello2: (phew) but lesson learnt - universal or HSH route next time

EDIT : sorry about big attachments

Attachments

• Wrapped.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • after routing.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Excellent! Looks like a very nice job you did - much cleaner than mine!

BTW, I got some further education about Warmoth routs in this thread below (the Warmoth humbucking rout is not big enough for a single coil UNLESS you order a showcase body that was already routed for SSS):
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18285.msg270234#msg270234

Back