New Member 1st warmoth build - Red Dye Strat

With a bit of time over Christmas/New Year finally got first build under my belt. Needed a fret level (thanks to local guitar tech!) , but otherwise ... sweet sounding thru the Laney  :party07:

BODY
Quilt maple lam top on swamp ash
Red dye top with cream binding
Trans red on the back

NECK (showcase)
Pau Ferro on Pau Ferro
59 round back
cream dots
SS 6150 (?) frets
Grover chrome rotomatics

HARDWARE
Bareknuckle HSS (VHII + Irish Tours - WOW :eek:)
Wilkinson V100 tremolo
500k vol, 500k tone (both push pulls - 1 splits HB, other adds neck)
Schaller strap locks (to be done)
22uF cap

Attachments

• Final---whole.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 47
  • final-body.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 41
Sweet! That baby's gotta be a lotta fun! If it sounds half as good as it looks, you've got a permanent winner there.

On an unrelated note... what's up with that carpet? I mean... damn. 1970 called. It wants its Muppet hide back <grin>

Ha! That's just a rug - as for its style, you would have to cautiously consult the Minister for the Interiors  :toothy11:

I knew this would be a beauty, having a 59' Pau Ferro, BNP's, Wilkie, SS frets etc etc etc  :hello2:

:icon_thumright: Nice indeed ...
That'll Rock all-night long
Got any close ups of the Binding ? as that's what my custom (to come) is having too.

Great job  :rock-on:
If your not sure on the SS fret size, check your invoice info  :doh:

veemoth said:
Ha! That's just a rug
I was gunna say the lawn looks a bit dry-ish  :icon_biggrin:

I have to admit that when I started reading this thread that my first inclination was that you have to go with that maple neck. Those abalone inlays are just screaming to be with that body. Now that I see it finished, the PF looks really nice on there.

Good luck with that Wilkinson. In the 2 years that I had my cherryburst strat I couldn't get it to stay in tune when I used that trem. I tried everything that I could do myself then finally gave in and took it to a pro. Nothing changed. I can honestly say that I will never buy another Wilkinson trem and I will never recommend one to anyone. I know there are many out there that swear by them but the one I had was useless. I only have to get burnt once.

That strat looks amazing, man. Great job.
MULLY

veemoth said:
OK some progress. I have been awake at night  :sad: at the thought of having to remove the neck any time I  wanted to make any pickguard/electronics adjustments.
However, the thought of enlarging the neck pickup route with no previous experience also scared the sh*t out of me  :tard:

Thanks to some info from JohnFV I slowly worked up the courage to enlarge the neck pickup route. (Thanks John  :icon_thumright:)

So went and bought myself a Dremel and router attachment/bits and some chunks of wood , and practiced for a few hours.

When the time came, on went the protective tape, and also an old t shirt for general protection (on the guitar, not me) Pic attached (guitar not me!).
I took it slow and steady and about an hour later, voila, enlarged neck pickup , no damage done. Pic attached (with shielding)..but its pretty neat under there, honest.

Pickguard now comes off without removing neck  :hello2: (phew) but lesson learnt - universal or HSH route next time

EDIT : sorry about big attachments

Just for your general info in the event that you ever order another body from Warmoth. They will route that cavity out for you at no extra charge, regardless of what route is already on there. Obviously you can't choose an HHH body and request it to be made SSS, but if it's SSS they will route it out for you if you ask them to. I'm not much for the boat route but both of my Warmoth's were SSS on the homepage and I requested HSH, my pick guard being SSS. I requested the HSH for 2 reasons. 1. Gives a little more space for wires so you don't have to cram everything in there. 2. In the event I ever want to drop a full size humbucker in there all I have to do is get another pickguard. In my opinion, that little bit of extra routing isn't going to affect the tone all that much, not enough that it counters the freedom of space and choice.

Just thought I'd let you know. I bet you were sweating bullets when you set that router down on there. hahaha!!!
MULLY

mullyman said:
Just thought I'd let you know. I bet you were sweating bullets when you set that router down on there. hahaha!!!
MULLY

Mate, I wasn't just SWEATING bullets...they were being passed from another, less polite orifice!  :eek:

mullyman said:
I have to admit that when I started reading this thread that my first inclination was that you have to go with that maple neck. Those abalone inlays are just screaming to be with that body.

Good luck with that Wilkinson. In the 2 years that I had my cherryburst strat I couldn't get it to stay in tune when I used that trem.

That strat looks amazing, man. Great job.
MULLY

The maple vs PF was a dillema - lots of mockups and photos. In the end, I think the "busy-ness' of the neck figure and inlays against the body and pickguard just tipped it over into being too busy. The PF is relatively plain (but still very handsome in its own right), giving a fairly clean look. Plus it is pure silk to play!

Re the Wilkinson, I'm only a light trem user (on my other guitar the trem is locked down), and so far its been fine.

Thanks for the encouragement and info...will come in handy for number 2!

Updown said:
Got any close ups of the Binding ? as that's what my custom (to come) is having too.

Tried to get some shots to show the binding (below). These highlight 2 things:
1 - I need to work on my photography and
2 - the binding is flawless. It does make the strat like a flat top with the obvious exception. Sides are pretty much perpendicular to the top, not curved.

I know there are "no-binding-on-a-strat" people out there, as much of the character of a strat is in the curves, but I love it as an alternative. Warmoth have excelled themselves...and you should be excited!!!

Attachments

• drop top.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 19
  • horn.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • side.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
I love it.  The color turned out perfect on that one.  The center seam on that top is perfect too.  Nice job!

veemoth said:
I know there are "no-binding-on-a-strat" people out there, as much of the character of a strat is in the curves, but I love it as an alternative. Warmoth have excelled themselves...and you should be excited!!!

I would be one of those "no binding on a Strat" people, at least until now. That looks excellent! And I am excited! I can't believe they'll do that for $110.

pissed_off_wet_cat.jpg

Of course, you know, this means war.

I am of the "big fan of maple fretboard crowd", But I gotta say, that body works well with both necks and I love the pau, great job, I wouldn't change a thing.

Really looks like a guitar of the month contender, just sayin.

veemoth said:
1 - I need to work on my photography

Photographing guitars is tough. Photographing a red guitar is even tougher. Red is one of the most difficult colors to photograph really well. Best thing to do, if you want a full body shot, is to take it outside and get it in natural light. I would suggest early morning or late evening before or after the sun is at it's full glare. Midday sunlight is just way too bright. Even then, red is one tough bugger. Filters may be needed to really make that bad boy shine like it should.

2 - the binding is flawless. It does make the strat like a flat top with the obvious exception. Sides are pretty much perpendicular to the top, not curved.

Oooh la la!!! I have the natural masked binding on mine and love it. After seeing this......I'm going to be hard pressed to NOT get this done on my next build. That is just 16 kinds of awesome right there. Fantastic!!!
MULLY

veemoth said:
Updown said:

1 - I need to work on my photography and

Thanks for the close up's of the binding  :icon_thumright: yep getting excited now :blob7:
I'll take heaps of pic's on arrival of mine. Might be sometime, they had to rebuild mine.
Thanks again @veemoth & your's looks great indeed :headbang:

Thats the whole idea of Warmoth ..... something out of the norm.
Oh man are they good at what they do :icon_biggrin:

Back