New Idea

JaySwear said:
abandon_blink said:
i've concluded that im gonna put a p90 in the neck position; therefore, "no cheesy graphics"  :icon_tongue:

yeah! even if you don't pull it out 95% of the time, a p-90 is AWESOME to have available. like i said, i bet you won't regret it. very nice choice

i've been looking at seymour duncan's p90's which one would you guys recommend?

apparently Warmoth's tele deluxe pickguards cant be cut for p90s? should i just get it routed for 2 regular size humbuckers and enlarge the neck position for a p90?

You could get a humbucker-sized P90, like a Duncan Phat Cat. It's not quite the same, but it shouldn't matter that much, especially if you were considering going without a neck pickup in the first place.

abandon_blink said:
apparently Warmoth's tele deluxe pickguards cant be cut for p90s? should i just get it routed for 2 regular size humbuckers and enlarge the neck position for a p90?

Wonder why that is?  :icon_scratch:

abandon_blink said:

The P90 is larger than the humbucker in one dimension only. So if you made the humbucker rout wider for the P90, there would be space above or below it from the taller humbucker.

p90hb.jpg

If you have the proper tools, like an end mill or drill press, I would recommend having Warmoth omit the neck pickup, and then doing the P90 rout yourself. If that sounds like too much hassle, and the chrome ring doesn't bother you, the Humbucker-sized P90s are nice.

You could always have them route it for both at an upcharge.  I had a lefty and righty route done for a Tele bridge pickup so it could accomodate both if I wanted to swap it or sell it.

Is the bridge pickup going to be a normal sized humbucker like on the Whibley Tele, or a wide range humbucker traditionally in Tele Deluxes?

010410%20fender%20tele%20deluxe%20pickups.jpg

Fender Wide Range humbuckers

I think if you go with a wide range bridge humbucker you should match it with a true P90 in the neck, but if you go with a regular humbucker you should get a humbucker-sized P90. That way the neck & bridge pickup widths will line up better.

the bridge pickup is gonna be a "gibson style" humbucker not a wide range. i was hoping to use a true p90, but the phat cat could work i suppose

it just seems like Warmoth should offer a p90 route on tele deluxe pickguards. im sure im not the first person who wants to put p90s in one

They might not get a lot of requests for it, but I agree they should add a P90 option to the Tele Deluxe.

The Gibson sized hb and Phat Cat should be a nice combo. :icon_thumright:

Were you planning on using the wide or narrow spaced hardtail? The pole pieces on most humbuckers line up better with the narrow spaced bridge, but if you wanted to use the wider spaced vintage hardtail, check out the "trembucker." SD makes a trembucker version of pretty much all their humbuckers, with the only difference being the wider pole spacing.

i plan on using a narrow spaced bridge  :)

my only complaint about the phat cat is the chrome cover  :dontknow: its just not really my thing

if you really hate the chrome cover you could get a gibson P-94 if you want to dish out the $$$  :dontknow:

Yes. Removing the cover makes it sound a bit more treble-y.

It's a pretty delicate operation; you can either cut though the solder tabs with a small saw or carefully heat them up with an iron, making sure the pickup doesn't get too hot and cause the potting wax to melt away.

mmarino92 said:
Biggus Pickus said:
Yes. Removing the cover makes it sound a bit more treble-y.

It's a pretty delicate operation; you can either cut though the solder tabs with a small saw or carefully heat them up with an iron, making sure the pickup doesn't get too hot and cause the potting wax to melt away.

Check out how to do it properly here:
http://www.mojotone.com/iMojo-Videos/Humbucker-Cover-Video

-Michael

Hey Thanks!  :hello2: that doesnt seem hard at all

Yeah, the razor blade method is probably the cleanest but it takes some finesse. Make sure you've got a good iron.

Back