new house, new city, new start?

Orpheo

As some of you might recall, I've struck a streak of unluckyness, at the end of 2011. Here's a small update, for those interested.

First a small recap.

I was with a girl/woman for 5 years,she broke up, wouldn't leave my house, sued me over the house despite the lease being on my name. That's the VERY short recap.

And now the conclusion!

Her parents and grandparents were threatening me inside and outside of my house, as well as borderlining on stalking my family, which is absolutely uncalled for. My grades at the university are plummeting down to a barely minimally accepted level, my music (loving) came to a dead still (until a forum member who's on my facebook gave me a subtle kick in the a$$ to start playing again, thanks!). Because the search for a home in Amsterdam proved to bare no fruit I decided to seek my 'luck' elsewhere; the Hague. It's a 50km commute to my job and university (thats like 30 miles; is that a lot for you Americans? I have no idea about scale and what you find acceptable, haha; educate me! :D ). But for me it has to do right now. I found a great house, 5km from my parents' place. it's 80 square meters (thats like 250 square feet?) for 775 euro's a month (water and power not included) (775€ = 1100$?), but it's completely furbished and finished. The kitchen is done in marble, with a fridge, dishwasher and other apparel already build in. The bathroom and toilet are seperate (quite the luxery here!) and both done in marble. The windows are double-glass, the heating system is almost a piece of art (every heater is build-in under a nice cupboard, for instance, and the technical side of the thing is a high-yield combination boiler, which serves to power the heating and warmwater supply). Oh, and I have an open fire in the living room, haha. The back side is not really nice, cause some hooligans are my backyard neighbours (or will be, I have to sign the new lease, but as far as I can see right now, that seems to be just a formality). But hooligans are cool; they make a lot of noise, but so do I! I mean, c'mon!I have six 100 watt heads with 6 cabinets; that's BOUND to make some noise!

I wish I could invite all of you to my 'house cooling party' (the inverse of a housewarming!), because I intend to give a HUGE jam; all 6 amps will be fired up, and everybody can play at the same time. one amp for each room (and 2 rooms will have to doubleteam for a while).

So, that's the story so far.

Orpheo said:
Her parents and grandparents were threatening me inside and outside of my house, as well as borderlining on stalking my family, which is absolutely uncalled for.
We did try to WARN you about that  :doh:

Glad all is working out for you  :icon_thumright:

Orpheo said:
I mean, c'mon!I have six 100 watt heads with 6 cabinets; that's BOUND to make some noise!

I wish I could invite all of you to my 'house cooling party' (the inverse of a housewarming!), because I intend to give a HUGE jam; all 6 amps will be fired up, and everybody can play at the same time. one amp for each room (and 2 rooms will have to doubleteam for a while). 

That'll get the walls rattling  :party07:      :guitarplayer2:

:rock-on:

BTW ..... 50 K isn't that far, not for us Aussie's anyway  :icon_biggrin:

you have warned me, agreed :) but I never thought people whom I've lived with so closely for 5 years would or could sink so low. Proves I was wrong, unfortunately. I just don't trust people anymore, except for my own family and some close friends who stuck with me for years. In fact, girls don't do a thing for me right now. They're a PITA, and I just don't get them anymore. Just to paraphrase 'Stewart from the comicbookstore' from Big bang Theory, '[I don't know if girls laugh at me because they like me or just because it's] ballshriveling detest and contempt'. I keep on thinking that there has to be a reason I surround myself with guitars in each room, listen to music almost 24/7 (day 1 I run my iPod dry, day 2 my iPhone, and day 3 I start again with my iPod). And no, I don't drink too much, if people might be scared of that because of my absinth-remarks ;) I do just 2 standard amounts of alcohol a day, maximum.

Good for you! It sounds like you`re headed down a good path. Hope it all out. :eek:ccasion14:

Sorry Orpheo ... me again  :icon_biggrin:

Orpheo said:
I never thought people whom I've lived with so closely for 5 years would or could sink so low.
unfortunately. I just don't trust people anymore, except for my own family and some close friends
who stuck with me for years.
In fact, girls don't do a thing for me right now. They're a PITA, and I just don't get them anymore.

Yeah the old saying ….. You live and learn.
I can surely relate to your situation. Mine was a bit more involved thou.

I married my childhood sweetheart, started going out at the age of (me) 15yo (her) 13yo.
Had a joint bank account, that we both put into, started at 50cents a week each, that slowly increased over time.
(this was in the early - mid 70's)
Had a break-up between 17 - 19 years of age, dated others as she did too.
We still deposited $$$ into that joint account in that time each week.
Age 19 back with her, ended up married to her in 1986 age 26, just prior to that we bought a house.
That money that we had saved up together, paid for 1/2 the house.  :icon_biggrin:

I was a Butcher working my butt off 14 hours a day, 6 days a week.  :doh:
She worked as well until the 1st daughter in 1990.
2nd daughter was in mid 1992.
:icon_scratch:  But something just wasn't right during and after this pregnancy.

Then in 1995 in our 2nd house, she went on a business trip, which was the norm often for her work.
I was with my kids and thought we would have a clean - out of some cupboards.
Then found something that shocked me.  :eek:

She  :evil4:  had written diaries etc .... What a complete idiot !!
After reading all these and lots of other stuff I had never seen before. 
I worked out she had been cheating on me with the same bloke, her boss for about 7+ years (who was married too).
That was before our 1st was even born.  :sad:  and about 2 years into the marriage  :sad:

Didn't I feel like a complete fool .........

She also had written and believed that the 2nd daughter was his.
So I demanded a DNA test to determine who, even though deep in my heart & soul I knew that she was my daughter.
Which was proven to be the case.  :icon_thumright:

Divorce was the only thing I could do, how could I ever trust her again ….. NO way !!

I never ever laid a fist on her and never would to any woman, what's the point of that.
She was and still is a great mother to my children, I give her credit for that only.
I even do work at my ex mother in laws house these days.

So something like that really takes the wind out of you and to TRUST anyone again just makes it even harder.
Time is a healer thou ……….. Some get over it quick and move on.

It took me ages to get over it, but once you do and you need to at some point of time.
Life becomes great again.
Trust in others will return in time.
Music is a great cure for anything.
I'm still single (just not interested losing all again) have my own business
and very happy telling myself what and what not to do  :laughing7:
Hence my Warmoth addiction  :guitarplayer2:

Sorry for the ramble  :toothy11:
Now back to the showcase  :cool01:

250 square feet...i don't think you are going to have enough room for all your guitars...lol

seriously, good luck on your new start...getting out of that situation will definitely fire up the old creative juices again... :eek:ccasion14:

AutoBat said:
80 square meters = 861.112833 square feet

ok, so you have room for your 30 guitars...just not a bed...lol

kidding, maybe...

better than having 250 square feet...damn, i should have googled that conversion...i knew
it didn't look right...

Haha, i should have done the math better.i forgot that i had to square the amount. I thought 80 square meters, 1 meter is 3 foot and a bit, 80 sq mtrs  times 3, but it should have been times 9. I have lots of space :)

About your ex wife.that sucks so badly...not much else to say.

That's a lot to take in, so I'll comment on the commute.  I don't speak for all Americans, but 30 miles isn't a lot.  My current commute is 34 miles, has been 55 before, and it used to be 60 for school.  My shortest has been 8.

My new commute is 50 metres :icon_biggrin:

Well done for getting out of that mess and all the best the future Orph!

I was just wondering how much distance you guys feel is 'a lot' when it comes to commuting. I'm a bit spoiled perhaps, I've never lived more than 8 miles from work.

Great to hear it is all "leveling out for you" mate. Nothing worse then having having everything falling apart around you.  :icon_biggrin:

I currently commute 25-30 Kilometers each way. For me this is just the right distance, and normally takes me 30 minutes to get into the city of Melbourne from where I live.  :eek:ccasion14:

Orpheo said:
I was just wondering how much distance you guys feel is 'a lot' when it comes to commuting. I'm a bit spoiled perhaps, I've never lived more than 8 miles from work.

San Diego is a commuter city, similar to the way L.A. and Orange Cty are. It's not uncommon for someone to drive 50-60 miles (one way...) to work. I'm lucky that I only need to put in 30. But, the upside is that they're paying me well enough to make it worth the time.

60 miles, thats 100 kilometers. wow, thats a lot here :p haha well, it's considered to be much anyway. it's good to relate to other people, just to gain some perspective.

Back