New here, starting LP project have some Questions

screamindemon

Hey guys,

I am ready to place an order for a LP carved top mahogany w/ flame maple top. It is going to have a resessed floyd.
Mahogany neck w/ ebony board and block inlays.

For color I am thinking Honey burst or natural finish? not sure yet.

Questions:

How does the hollow option sound? Would it be good for heavy eighties type metal.
I like the idea of it being liter.

I want binding but not sure weather to go with natural or cream?

What do you guys think on color Natural or Honey burst?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

For metal, go natural, honey burst is too pretty. If you go natural, cream binding obviously.
To me, the hollow option lends a little more resonance ymmv, but the key is a slightly lighter instrument.

I would go with the Honey Burst on the Flame Maple (to me the natural is just a bit bland).  What colour are you looking at for the back?  With the burst, it would really look sharp with natural mask binding.  

No exp with hollow bodies, so can't help there.

Just a not about the neck, it may be worth researching a raw wood for the neck.  By the time you pay for finish on the mahogany, it may be the same price to get one of the raw woods.  Bubinga sounds very similar to mahogany to me.

What pickups are you looking at?

V/R
Bill

I'm going to second the Honey Burst/Natural Masked Binding, that would just look sharp.

As far as the hollow option....  Volition's Advocate built an LP out of hollow Black Korina, and it sounds pretty sweet for Tool-type metal, so I really can't see too much difference between that and Mahogany.  I think the only difference between the Tool sound and the 80's sound is probably the pickups and effects anyway, so I'd say go for the hollow body.

ildar said:
For metal, go natural, honey burst is too pretty. If you go natural, cream binding obviously.
To me, the hollow option lends a little more resonance ymmv, but the key is a slightly lighter instrument.

What is YMMV ?

riverbluff said:
I would go with the Honey Burst on the Flame Maple (to me the natural is just a bit bland).  What colour are you looking at for the back?  With the burst, it would really look sharp with natural mask binding.  

No exp with hollow bodies, so can't help there.

Just a not about the neck, it may be worth researching a raw wood for the neck.  By the time you pay for finish on the mahogany, it may be the same price to get one of the raw woods.  Bubinga sounds very similar to mahogany to me.

What pickups are you looking at?

V/R

Bill

Bill,
Not sure what you mean by raw woods. Couldn't you just oil any neck and leave it raw.

For pickups I am going with a JB in the bridge and a 59 or Jazz in the neck .

Here is a pick of a Tangarine burst they call it but I think it looks like Warmoths Honey burst.

love this finish.

1645_12.jpg

Go for Tobacco Burst with Natural binding or Natural with Black binding!!! :)
Also if you go for Natural, make sure to have the back painted dark brown or red... I really like color contrasts :)

Was referring to a wood that you can play without a finish and still keep your warrenty.  Warmoth has several exotic woods (Bubinga, canery, rosewood, wendge, etc...) that require no finish and are still covered by the warrenty.  Something like Mahogany or maple require a finish to keep the warrenty and prevent warping.

Welcome.

I would suggest looking at the Showcase first.
Sometimes you may be looking for one particular finish & see another that appeals to you all the more.

According to some posts from the Warmoth guys though, they will consider a properly applied oil finish good enough to keep the warranty.  I vote for the honey burst with natural mask binding.  I just did a fire burst flame maple LPS with the natural mask binding, and I think it really makes the guitar. 

chuck7 said:
According to some posts from the Warmoth guys though, they will consider a properly applied oil finish good enough to keep the warranty. 

I was under the impression that this is only the case for Tru-oil, which is not a true oil finish (hrmmph - where's the logic in that) but contains a healthy dose of varnish which provides the sealing layer required, if applied properly. I suspect any finish would have to be properly applied for the warranty to apply, though. Anyhow, I have two Warmoth necks, one Padouk which is unfinished and the other Maple with a Tru-oil finish, and while they are of course very different in character I like both of them very much.

You sound like you're building my guitar.
Link

I went with a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.  I found the 59 to be a little too loud when the selector was in the middle, but that could be because its up a little too close to the strings.  I really like the JB though.
As for Hollow, I really like it.  It'll give you more of a classic sound when using digital effects. Once again YMMV. Its just what I've found.  Its very loud when played unplugged and you can really feel the vibrations. And it makes it considerably lighter than a traditional les paul. its a dream to play and it doesn't make it neck heavy, even though the neck on mine is a fender scale.

As for finish choices.  I"m not a fan of just plain natural finishes.  I love the wood grain but I like deep colors so for most of my builds I'm going to end up choosing deeper transparent finishes or dyes.  and I dont like binding so I didn't get any. but thats just personal taste. If I were to get binding I'd probably either go with a natural binding or the clean line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugSHoGqN7nw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTpQlM81h5I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3Uaw0x47E

I'm glad I'm the only one who said natural. If you want to be different, go natural. EVERYONE has their Liberace bursts around here.  :icon_jokercolor: Check out the Soloist thread for a beautiful quilt top in natural gloss. Bursts are for bluesers and pop rockers.

And classic rockers.

Volitions Advocate said:
You sound like you're building my guitar.
Link

I went with a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.  I found the 59 to be a little too loud when the selector was in the middle, but that could be because its up a little too close to the strings.  I really like the JB though.
As for Hollow, I really like it.  It'll give you more of a classic sound when using digital effects. Once again YMMV. Its just what I've found.  Its very loud when played unplugged and you can really feel the vibrations. And it makes it considerably lighter than a traditional les paul. its a dream to play and it doesn't make it neck heavy, even though the neck on mine is a fender scale.

As for finish choices.  I"m not a fan of just plain natural finishes.  I love the wood grain but I like deep colors so for most of my builds I'm going to end up choosing deeper transparent finishes or dyes.  and I dont like binding so I didn't get any. but thats just personal taste. If I were to get binding I'd probably either go with a natural binding or the clean line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugSHoGqN7nw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTpQlM81h5I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3Uaw0x47E

Guitar looks great man  :headbang1:

ildar said:
Bursts are for bluesers and pop rockers.

And classic rockers.

+1

My personal exception among Warmoth's finishes is the Fireburst - that just looks killer. And blissfully non-traditional.

screamindemon said:
Bill,
Not sure what you mean by raw woods. Couldn't you just oil any neck and leave it raw.

For pickups I am going with a JB in the bridge and a 59 or Jazz in the neck .

JB bridge/ 59 is a good combo.

You might also look into a JB/P90 or P90 knockoff combo.  That is my personal fav for a LP.

Back