new gibson les paul standard; the traditional!

Orpheo

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/traditional/

solid back, no weight relief
plek'd frets
57 classic humbuckers
lower pricing than regular standard

imho GREAT initiative!

RLW said:
Weight relief holes are now "traditional"?

:sad:

apparantly. but still! its a good thing gibson listens to its customers! I cant stress this fact enough. Gibson listens! this has been different in the past! players asked for the reverse Vee, we got it. Players asked for a pickguard-less explorer, we got it. we asked for a Vee with a flametop, we got it. we asked for the pushtone les paul, we got it. the list goes on and on. My absolute respect to gibson now. Not that I'd buy one (unless the gutiar is REALLLYYYY good!), I like the big W too much, but still: its great they now do what the customers asks.

I'm not a skinny-stringer - but I have to think this 'back to the basics' type of thinking from both Fender and Gibson will keep them alive. Long overdue attention to detail and basic features/fundamental builds (as opposed to 'flavor of the week' mentality), and will set them apart from the off shore Asian wanna be's. I, for one, would like to see 'Made In USA' mean something (again) for these and other companies...

new Coke, old Coke,new Coke, old Coke,new Coke, old Coke,new Coke, old Coke,new Coke, old Coke, :icon_scratch:

Brian

For the lowest US price I can find - $2299 - I'm real; unimpressed. You could build two really nice Warmoths for a little more than that...

jackthehack said:
For the lowest US price I can find - $2299 - I'm real; unimpressed. You could build two really nice Warmoths for a little more than that...
no no no my friend!! you couldn't be more wrong!!!

you can have 2 great warmoths for under that price  :toothy11: :hello2:

For the record, V's had flametops way back in '82.
Guitars007.jpg

jackthehack said:
I couldn't agree more about Warmoth being best bang for the buck. When you factor in manufacturing overhead, advertising, marketing, and general cost of doing business of the level of Gibson, Fender, MusicMan, G&L, etc......it's understandable, however, that prices are where they are. Warmoth is a small company that's found a niche, and backed it up with a quality product and selection that's going to prove difficult (for any) to better on most levels. Obviously a win-win situation for those here, and future converts :glasses10:

Gibson listens to its customers like the IRS listens to taxpayers.

Henry J is one manipulative and greedy guitar monger.... The day they announced the chambering, was the same day myself and others said... they're gonna be back.  That is, the swiss cheeze relieved bodies.  This guitar has 9 to 11 holes in it, under the maple cap.

But ya know what?  Its got tone too.

You can say what you want about a les paul but nothing else sounds like one.  I don't know if the same can be said for W versions - though I'd have to defer to Orpheo on that point as he seems to own a whole bunch of both varieties.  Some of the Gibsons might not play great and the finishing might be awful but once you plug them in, the sound is right there where you want it.  I used to have an awful 96 studio which was a bitch to play but to this day is the best sounding guitar I ever owned.  I hated it but whenever I wanted to record something with crunch and rich sounding chords, it was the first and only port of call.  The good news is my 2006 standard (with swiss cheese weight relief) is both beautiful and sounds great.  I would consider the W option if they made the parts for a short scale set neck build (though I bet Gibson's lawyers would too!).  Until then, I'll stick with Gibson.  That's fine by me though, I only need one LP.  On the other hand there are plenty of 25.5 bolt-on Ws that I still want to build!

my 2c.

"Taking design and visual cues from Les Pauls from the '80s and '90s..."
Yeah. That's what people want. Mm, hmm.

"...unchambered...weight-relief holes..."
:icon_scratch:

Am I wrong?

Tweed said:

"...unchambered...weight-relief holes..."
:icon_scratch:

Am I wrong?

yeah, got this too just now :p sorry :D it was a weeee bit late when I typed that down :D

Tweed said:

Seriously.  They need to get their f*cking act together and make them like they did in the '50s.

they do, and they charge up the wazoo for it.

the funny thing is - the 50's neck joint is completely doable, at no extra cost with great precision, using todays manufacturing methods

there is no need to chisel cut a long tenon neck (or short).

I can buy "U-Assemble" furniture that fits with outrageous precision.  its all machine cut, all very precise... and you have to actually be careful about using too much glue, so that the glue doesn't throw the precision of the cuts off (combined or stacked tolerances). 

Gibson can put LP's together by the 100's per day, and get the necks to fit just fine when using the old types of joints - its all marketing, all hype, and all greed

its ok, what goes around comes around in Henry's life

dbw said:
Tweed said:

Seriously.  They need to get their f*cking act together and make them like they did in the '50s.

sure, but ey, gibson is going in the reverse: it was first 'like the 2000's", now its like the 80ies and 90ies. in a few years it will be indeed the 50ies :) (but I dont think that will happen; the customshop needs a reason for existing, right? )

Orpheo said:
jackthehack said:

You can certainly build 2 Warmoths for less than that, but my average build costs for things I do that look considerable better than that LP is around $1300.

jackthehack said:
Orpheo said:
jackthehack said:

You can certainly build 2 Warmoths for less than that, but my average build costs for things I do that look considerable better than that LP is around $1300.

+1 on that.  I don't think I'll ever buy another manufactured guitar after discovering Warmoth, unless I run across one with that certain je n'est sais pas.  Of course, after discovering Warmoth, I may never be able to afford another manufactured guitar.  :toothy12:

I dunno. I don't think I'd ever buy Gibson again. It would have to be a VERY special guitar for me to spunk som much cash on 1 instrument.

Back