New Fretwire Day!

Cagey

Mythical Status
For those of you who might be curious, this is how bulk fretwire comes. This is a pound of what Warmoth calls "6150SS". Jescar (the manufacturer) calls it FW47104-S. Stainless. There is no other. Well, maybe EVO (Gold)

6150%20Fretwire_zpsslritxyg.jpg

This is only a pound, but it's a little over 56 feet long, so that's enough for about 15 guitars. What's interesting here is it only costs $62, which works out to a little over $4 per guitar. Not per fret, per guitar. This is why Warmoth can offer it for only a $20 adder on their necks. I know that sounds like a helluva markup, but the thing is, the stuff is like weapons-grade relative to using nickel/silver fretwire. It's a pain in the shorts to bend and grind, so there's some extra labor that needs to be paid for. Also because of that difficulty in working, many techs/luthiers will charge upwards of a $200 adder to level/crown/dress/polish them. Takes a bit longer to do and it's hard on tools. On the plus side, the stuff lasts forever plus 100 years and it polishes up like glass so bends and vibrato are much easier. On top of that, it stays that way. The mirror polish isn't a showroom trick. Then, regardless of what you've heard, there's no change in tonal character on your guitar. Sounds exactly the same as the nickel/silver fretwire. If there's anything at all to be said for its sound, I'd say that hammers and taps are slightly more articulate, but even that might be my imagination.

Wonderful stuff. If you're going to throw $200-$800 at a custom Warmoth neck, you owe it to yourself to unclench another $20 and get stainless frets. It's a tiny bump for a huge improvement.

Great info, Cagey.

I've been contemplating 6130 frets for the neck to come, but that doesn't seem to be available in steel.
Could it be that the manufacturer doesn't do that or is it Warmoth that doesn't offer it as an option?

This is what Jescar do

https://www.jescar.com/fret-wire-specifications/

I was quite smug that I was able to tell the guy who was re-fretting my bass exactly what fret wire I'd like.

Fretwire comes in a pretty wide variety of shapes and sizes. Stainless and gold (EVO) wire are somewhat more limited. Warmoth offers the 5 or 6 that are the most popular. There are some that are only slightly different from others that they don't bother with. Not really any point in offering/stocking everything under the sun if the vast majority of it will collect dust. I think some of the sizes may be peculiar to certain OEMs. It's their way of pretending they're unique, so you're stuck going back to them and they can charge a premium for repair work.

I know myself I only have 5 or 6 reels of the stuff in different sizes because I have definite ideas of what constitutes decent frets, and I like to impose my will on others <grin> For instance, if somebody wants tiny frets, I'm not gonna turn the work down, but I'll definitely pitch something larger. Tiny frets are kukka, and few people want them.  Gotta charge a premium because most of the wire is gonna hang on the wall forever.

amigarobbo said:
I was quite smug that I was able to tell the guy who was re-fretting my bass exactly what fret wire I'd like.

Nice when you can do that. I remember the first fret job I ever had done back in the early '70s. I had a '61 Gibson Melody Maker, and my 2nd youngest brother had a 60s-era (I don't remember the exact vintage) Fender Jaguar. We took them in at the same time and had no idea what to ask for. I lucked out because Gibson has always used bigger frets, but those old Jags used something... less than ideal. Tiny, is what I'm saying. Cost us $150 each, and I was happy as a clam, while he was mega-pissed. Couldn't fault the job - the guy did good - so Mark just had to eat it and smile. We both decided then that we'd never pay for that kind of work again. He never pursued it, but I did. So, now I do his guitars. Or, at least I used to. He keeps dumping his guitars for stupid reasons, so I'm done working on them. Maybe if he has to pay to have them fixed up, he'll hang on to them longer.

Inneresting. I was just contemplating making my own neck due to shortage of 1.25 wide @ the nut 20" scale length guitars with either Tele or LP headstocks. Hmmmm.

Cagey said:
Also because of that difficulty in working, many techs/luthiers will charge upwards of a $200 adder to level/crown/dress/polish them.

Wow.  The place I take my guitars charges ~300 to set up and plek them, regardless of their metallurgy. I thought that was expensive (but pretty darn worth it, considering how nicely they play.)  Now I feel like I've been getting a bargain.

That's an adder, not the base charge. Fretwork on regular frets is typically $150-$200. Add the other to that if they're SS. And Plek machines aren't cheap, so a setup done on one of those is usually in the $300 range, and I'm not sure they'll do stainless on one of those.

Personally, I don't care what the frets are made of. I charge the same no matter what, and I do as good or better a job than a Plek machine. But, I'm an old retired guy, so my time is my own and I don't have a shop or employees to support.

In the past year I've had five Strats and a Telecaster refretted with big stainless steel wire and my Warmoth Tele neck has 6100SS frets.  Guitar tech warned me that once I had my first guitar refretted with that stuff I wouldn't go back to nickel silver and he was right. Cost me a fortune in refretting work but I love how my guitars play now.

Yeah, I don't even stock nickel/silver wire any more. If I were a full-blown guitar manufacturer, SS frets would be the standard, not an option with an adder. Many of them don't even offer it as an option.

Back