New Body

greenmeanie said:
Here it is in Blue Dye.
My plan is to sand it back and add Red like the guy did on youtube but I think it is going to be tough with the two big bare spots. Maybe I should add some kind of burst?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgdMKQV1oYc&ab_channel=CustomGuitars%26PartsGASStation[/youtube]

That's mine, BTW.

greenmeanie said:
Something didn't look right to me so I worked the CAP edges more and think it looks better.

FYI if you used the same Fiebing's leather dyes I used please be aware they aren't particularly lightfast and you should absolutely keep the guitar cased when not in use.
If you used Keda or TransTint, you should be fine.

I see why you weren't that happy with the body . Warmoth  does send out some clunkers when it comes to grain. I've had two necks that were less than attractive. To warmoths credit they gave a full refund . The cost of shipping and waiting another two months wasn't fun. The next necks were beautiful though.
Very impressed with how your balancing and bringing the grain out! I can't wait to see it finished .

Another UPDATE.
Thought I would try the Solarez polyester uv resin method and it wasn't fun at all lol.
I sanded through the back in a few spots and the dye didn't do exactly what I wanted it to probably my fault for not sealing the alder back before stain.
The stuff never really levels well so there is going to be a lot of sanding in my future hopefully with no more sand through.
I did use the Fiebing dye's funny thing is I was going for more PINK and somehow got more purple LOL and I was going for a dark purple back and somehow got more Blue LOL.
And the one last headaches I tried to get a run out and messed up the back near the trem never try to move a run after it has been sitting for a hour leveling.
I am a noob at this stuff for sure if it just sands out half decent for me I will be happy. I will leave a few of the better SUN Pics that make it look better than it is  :)

DRSeb did you ever finish your guitar? If so do you have a LINK for the final PIC?

Attachments

• finish coat.jpg
    finish coat.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 196
  • finish coat back.jpg
    finish coat back.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
greenmeanie said:
Another UPDATE.
Thought I would try the Solarez polyester uv resin method and it wasn't fun at all lol.
I sanded through the back in a few spots and the dye didn't do exactly what I wanted it to probably my fault for not sealing the alder back before stain.
The stuff never really levels well so there is going to be a lot of sanding in my future hopefully with no more sand through.
I did use the Fiebing dye's funny thing is I was going for more PINK and somehow got more purple LOL and I was going for a dark purple back and somehow got more Blue LOL.
And the one last headaches I tried to get a run out and messed up the back near the trem never try to move a run after it has been sitting for a hour leveling.
I am a noob at this stuff for sure if it just sands out half decent for me I will be happy. I will leave a few of the better SUN Pics that make it look better than it is  :)

DRSeb did you ever finish your guitar? If so do you have a LINK for the final PIC?

The guitar is not yet done.

The build thread is here: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33114.0

The body was clear coated this summer by Pat Wilkins Guitars, and I asked for back/sides color matching the color of the purple curls which he did perfectly (as usual):
[youtube]https://youtu.be/rbP9inOTbcY[/youtube]

I got the wenge/ebony neck months ago but haven't started dyeing the headstock (vacation, wrist injury and overall busy).
Also I'll require a small deposit before dyeing the headstock veneer as that's the point of no return for reselling the neck at no loss if he decides not to get the guitar. I'm happy keeping the body but I'd go a slightly different route for the neck wood/profile if it were my guitar.

Hit it for a little while today with 320 grit.
I give solarez one thing it is HARD which is what I wanted just hoping I don't sand through.

Attachments

• 320gritback.jpg
    320gritback.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 320grit front.jpg
    320grit front.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
600 GRIT.
Do you guys think I can start the polishing process yet?
I have a few small spots I hope the 800 grit takes out.

Attachments

• 600gritfront1.jpg
    600gritfront1.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 600gritback1.jpg
    600gritback1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 122
greenmeanie said:
600 GRIT.
Do you guys think I can start the polishing process yet?
I have a few small spots I hope the 800 grit takes out.

Yes you definitely want to go to higher grits before trying to polish it

Well I finally got to 2000 grit but not liking it at all.
Is there any chance the buffing and compound process will pull the white dots out of the finish?
I let the solarez sit for 90 Mins and still got white dots here and there.
I would like to see HighLine guitars use Solarez on a dark finish to see if he gets a better look than I did.
Maybe it is time to contact SimsCustom and admit my defeat LOL.

Attachments

• 2000gritfront-resize.jpg
    2000gritfront-resize.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 2000gritback-resize.jpg
    2000gritback-resize.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 149
I've been away from this forum for most of the last nine months or so, and I am happy to return for a bit and see this wonderful work in progress.  My first finishing jobs were also frustrating and fraught with unexpected little turns and eff-ups, but it's so gratifying to achieve a result after all the headaches and swearing.  You're doing a great job, and have really done some beautiful work with the dye.  Your disappointment in the quality of the figuring notwithstanding, you're going to wind up with a beautiful axe.

Peace
Bagman

greenmeanie said:
Well I finally got to 2000 grit but not liking it at all.
Is there any chance the buffing and compound process will pull the white dots out of the finish?
I let the solarez sit for 90 Mins and still got white dots here and there.
I would like to see HighLine guitars use Solarez on a dark finish to see if he gets a better look than I did.
Maybe it is time to contact SimsCustom and admit my defeat LOL.

I'm guessing your'e happy enough with the front of the instrument? (I can't see any flaws).

2 things, you haven't mentioned the wood used on the core / back of the body, what is it?

And I'll admit, a UV curing epoxy would not be my first choice as a guitar finish step. Depending on what is causing those defects (kinda looks like simple bubbles to me, but you can't say much from a medium resolution image of the whole body) ...

I'd consider a layer of shellac to see if that hides it? if it's surface imperfections, it might. If it's some moisture / chemical thing going one, probably not?

I think the front would come out alright with the pick guard on it.
The body is a Alder body and a CAP.
I thought to keep sanding but I think I am nearing going through.

if you want my opinion,  i would start building up some wipe on poly,  but i personally dont want my opinion.

Try not to laugh to loud but I don't know anyone with a good buffing wheel so I bought one for my drill and started to hit it with the RED clay.
The back I might actually pull those spots out but it is going to take some work with this drill buffing method. Will take some Pictures of the back later.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
Grabbed some Pictures of the back.
Some spots are dust from the clay still but you can still see the ones I knocked down some.
If I had a floor buffer I think I could of saved this but still going to try with a drill.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
Well I got into it big time and made some ground but I can't get it all out.
Going to sleep on it for awhile I am going to play this guitar a lot so it will probably get banged up anyways but I still hate to throw in the towel.
I also still have to hit it with the final buff.

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
It's looking great though! My first attempt at painting/finishing a guitar was reeeeaaaally rough. I had an idea that was way too advanced for my skill level and there were so many issues. Yours looks professional compared to the paint job that I did.

This is the final I am going to start ordering Parts for it now.
Not sure when I will be Updating again maybe when I start the neck.

Attachments

• final2.jpg
    final2.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 153
  • final1.jpg
    final1.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 121
Back