new body style

blitzwit

here's a long shot

would warmoth be interested in making replacement bodies for the old cbs fender starcaster?  this is a great guitar which as far as i know, no one is making a replacement body for.
I'd love to be able to make my own and not spend $5000 trying to find one in good shape.
starcasterfront.jpg

This design was made in the days of the CBS owned Fender company in the 70s. Was not a success probably because it was too close to an ES335 in design, and the 335 had the long track record.

Can't see Warmoth doing this one, but it has been a Fender design of the past, so maybe they could line up a licence to replicate it?

I recall actually playing one of these when they were new (yes I'm that old, but I was only 14 or so at the time!), and the shape of that peghead turned me off it straight away. Butt ugly.

The sound of the semi hollow body and those original Seth Lover Fender Humbuckers was unique, and would take some getting used to, but judging by the popularity of the Thinlines with a similar set up nowadays (the reason why those originals are now sought after) maybe suggests folks have now accepted that sound.

dbw said:
What's the fifth knob do?

I believe it was a master volume. By the way, I've played a few of those back in the day, there's a good reason why they're rare.

Another reason was the cost of the guitars new. They were more expensive than the Strats, and you were being asked to fork out some serious $$ for something that was quite untried. I think, if my memory serves me well, a Starcaster cost around $1200 Aust. in those days and the Strat $750. :icon_scratch:

You know, I'd get one of those and build a 12 string.  I'm currently looking at interesting ways that I can
replace my Rickenbacker 360/12

Its possible the design would work out with some modifications. First of all, put a better headstock on the thing (reminds me of a tip of a....well, you get the idea), and give it some better options in regards to the pickups. I think it might had sold a little better if it actually sounded like a Fender. The seventies were a strange time in the worlds of CBS and Norlin--both tried to copy each other instead of making what they were really good at in the first place. Fender had no place building an ES line, and Gibson had no business with maple fretboards and bolt-on necks.

it would make a lot of sence to offer that.  Fender neck setup and scale.  At least you would be replicating a guitar that was a bolt on, not a bolt on version of a set neck guitar.

Like the 335, that is a hole different type of construction than a Thinline.  The Thinline is basically a solid body that has been routed out and capped.  The Starcaster and 335 have tops, backs, and sides glued together.  The construction is more like acoustics than Thinlines.

Warmoth is a company built upon hacking bodies out of solid wood.  To make this in their current manufacturing set up, they'd have to have tooling to rout an arch-back contour, as well as chambering the thing so it didn't weigh about 12 pounds. 

You'll notice that they don't make any jazz box bodies, either.

Warmoth better not make Starcasters (and Starcaster necks) because I cannot afford another guitar right now.

Back