New body is awesome, second guessing nickel parts

cadred

When I started my Warmoth Thinline (pictures soon) build I ordered mostly chrome parts, but for some reason I let myself to be talked into nickel covers for the pups.

I originally thought that tarnished nickel will look kind of cool and aged after time, but now that the body has arrived (looks awesome, btw) I'm worried it's going to be a PITA to maintain, and only half my guitar will show age.

Right now, my tuners, neckplate, jackplate, and straplocks are chrome and everything else is nickel. It's a new build and nothing has been installed and I could potentially return the hardware (except the pups) if I really wanted to.

The problem is it would be very expensive (and hard) to get the tuners I need in nickel and optionally I would just have to take a bath on the pickups to replace them.

As it stands, I'm left with mixed finished guitar parts, though everything destined for the front is currently nickel so looks-wise it's not bad.

tldr;

Is a nickel-finish worth the trouble?

Should I just keep what I got and live with a quirky custom guitar that's unique and cool?

Do I need therapy?  :tard:

cadred said:
Is a nickel-finish worth the trouble? 

Tough to say. It's a personal preference thing. Myself, I'd want all of one or the other; no mix. But, that's just me. Might be worth it to wait until you have everything in a pile and see how much difference there is.

If it's too much, you can often change pickup covers. Metal ones are typically just soldered on, although you do need a beefier-than-usual iron or you're liable to overheat the coils and wreck 'em. Maybe the local music store can do it. At least if they screw up the pups, it'll be on them to replace them. If you screw 'em up, you gotta pitch 'em.

But, covers are easy enough to come by. For instance, there's a whole page of 'em here for between $28 and $35 a pair.

Whaddya need metal pickup covers for? Let them coils go nekkid!

Honestly, I do think that the bare humbucker look is better than metal covers.

But, it's your guitar and half the fun is agonizing over your options. Whatever you choose, try not to second-guess yourself. Live with the decision for awhile. If you really hate it, change it. If you can live with it, let it be.

My strat has a matte chrome bridge and shiny chrome bar & tuners. I rarely notice the difference because I spend too much time just playing it.

True. I think I just needed to work through my issues. I've decided to grow a pair and just double down on all nickel parts. Order everything but the tuners, which thanks to some suggestions here, I may have a line on.

cadred said:
True. I think I just needed to work through my issues. I've decided to grow a pair and just double down on all nickel parts. Order everything but the tuners, which thanks to some suggestions here, I may have a line on.

Good decision!
Plus, now you are going to have left over parts.  Best justification to start building another guitar :icon_thumright:
:rock-on:

Black Dog said:
cadred said:

Good decision!
Plus, now you are going to have left over parts.  Best justification to start building another guitar :icon_thumright:
:rock-on:

See! Ive told my wife that several times! "But sweety, it's pointless to have all these parts if they're not on a guitar. Throw then away? I don't understand"

Poke at the chemistry set in the bathroom, on the dresser and surrounding the washer/dryer pair. There's gotta be a few grand in potions, nostrums, odorifics, surfactants, paint and abrasives collected up there. Ask if you should throw them away today, or if garbage day is soon enough  :icon_biggrin:

"But, I need that stuff!"

Perzactly.

My wife is partaking in a trial of some new face cream stuff that, if you were paying for it, would cost £600 ($964) a month. The things people find to spend their money on.

Back