New 5-String Jazz

frontroom

Flamed Maple Veneer on Mahogany body. Maple/maple neck fingerboard w/ matching headcap.
Walnut stain (I'm going to try the Minwax wipe-on satin poly (any thoughts or suggestions).
I've got a silver pearl pick guard. Chrome hardware. Takeuchi thru-body bridge. Haven't decided between Basslines or Nordy pickups  to go with an Audere preamp (once again, suggestions are welcome).
Wish me luck!!

I would suggest avoiding the Basslines pickups considering the amount of maple in that build.  It looks great, by the way.  :)

-Mark

frontroom said:
(any thoughts or suggestions).

Yes ...that thing has outstanding bookmatching....go highgloss !!

Here's my Warmoth basses.....I did all of the finishing on both basses (stain and nitro) except the burst body (fretted bass) is W factory poly .....obviously...

studiopic.jpg

Layed the parts together for these photos (quality could be better) I'm going with the Nordstrand pickups and an Audere preamp,and of course the chrome pickup cover.

frontroom said:
Layed the parts together for these photos (quality could be better) I'm going with the Nordstrand pickups and an Audere preamp,and of course the chrome pickup cover.

Sorry, that pickguard is not doing it for me at all. :dontknow:

I'd skip the pickguard and show off more of the top wood.
If you must have a pickguard though, go black.

line6man said:
Sorry, that pickguard is not doing it for me at all. :dontknow:

I'd skip the pickguard and show off more of the top wood.
If you must have a pickguard though, go black.

+1000
I love the rest of the look though.

Ya' know what, looking at this on a computer screen rather than my phone I don't like the pg.

I hate to hate, but I agree with the pg haters.  That top is frickin beautiful, keep it uncovered. 

Count me in with the pickguard haters. Not pickguards in general, just that one. Doesn't match the instrument at all.

Actually, I went with the pickup cover on another Jazz. I had played EMG's for years and then went with some passive pickups with exposed pole pieces. I often dug in so much that I'd make a gruesome sound touching string to magnet. The cover forced me to play back a little. I think I get a more defined note ,unless I want a real old school or reggae sound, where I'll pick in front of the cover. I have to be honest , though, I think it's "retro-cool". Here's my bulid and it's Mexican cousin.

Very nice, love the wood, especially the pegface.  :headbang:

What's the measurement from the nut to the bridge saddles on that?  I just got my J5 and neck in yesterday.  The measurement from the nut to the 12th fret is 17" like you'd expect, but from the nut to the bridge saddles (Hipshot tremolo) in the middle of their travel is 34 1/3".  I imagine it's probably ok, but of course it's the weekend and I can't call to ask :confused4:

It's 34 inches at the G string. I had the same concern when I layed the parts together thinking the bridge was too far back. It worked out fine. I got the Takeguchi thru body bridge. It was almost perfectly intonated out of the box. Incidentally, I've used this bass on the gig 2 nights in a row. After a couple of (very minor) tweaks, the think is a beast !!. I went with the Nordy direct Jazz replacements and an Audere preamp (usually set flat). Thunderous lows, nice bright top , mids that cut through with no honk, It's like Christmas when I was 9 years old !!

Back