New 18 watter

WMHOLP

Had to sell off the '69 Marshall JMP50 plexi, but settled for a fun little 18 watter.  It's a GDS Amplification kit with a Weber MASS mounted right on the chassis with a bypass switch on the back.  Pretty handy really.  Really breathes fire when you open up the TMB channel when in bypass on the MASS driver.  The cab is Vibroworld loaded with a mixture of pre-Rola Celestions (G12M25's and G12H30s), axe is my Warmoth LP build.  Having to downscale my toys, but this is a very punchy 18 watts.  I think it'll be a hoot!  Currently running a trio of Mullard ECC83's, JJ EL-84's and an EH 6CA4 rectifier.  Looking forward to trying out the Beano Boost I ordered for this head.

18Watt_warmoth.jpg

hey dude

That's great! Looks like you are turning around a bad situation. How much it set you back?

Brian

Right on. GDS is good people. 18w is my favorite Marshall. Post some clips!

bpmorton777 said:
they have audio samples at their website.

http://gdsamps.com/

Brian

...but with that natty looking Warmoth LP? That's what I want to hear.

bpmorton777 said:
hey dude

That's great! Looks like you are turning around a bad situation. How much it set you back?

Brian

It didn't set me back anything actually.  It was part of the payment from the guy that bought my 50 watt Plexi.  I got cash + this GDS head as payment for my 50 watter.  Turned out to be a sweet deal.  My plexi was a '69, but some of the components were not original or period correct (head cab for example).  So, it was a good deal for both of us.  I'm really happy with this 18 watter.  I'll have to drag it all inside to record a clip with that Warmoth LP.  When the wifey and kid are away someday, I'll drag the amp back in the house to record some clips.  I'd rather not move my computer out to the garage just yet.

Yes, the garage where the amp is sitting is heated, and fully secure!  I just had to dime it out over the weekend, and my garage / someday to be mean-cave jam roomwas the best place for my sonic therapy.

Wish I had a garage to practice in... I got a letter from my landlord the other day, I was terrified he was going to trying to evict me because of my playing!  Turns out it was my lease renewal *whew*

I may get flamed to death here, but for practace/recording, I use a Line 6 TonePort.  I have the 2 input version with phantom power on the mic input and it cost me $199 I think.  you can get the single input version for around 100.  It has all the modeling stuff from the pod xt, plus some things from the vetta line.  Its quite flexible, and to my ears anyway, produces excellent tone. 

It hooks up to the computer via USB, then I use some nice AKG headphones coming from the toneport.  Granted, its not going to be the same as plugging into a half stack or something, but for what it is, its a hell of a value. 

"I may get flamed to death here, but for practace/recording, I use a Line 6 TonePort.  I have the 2 input version with phantom power on the mic input and it cost me $199 I think.  you can get the single input version for around 100.  It has all the modeling stuff from the pod xt, plus some things from the vetta line.  Its quite flexible, and to my ears anyway, produces excellent tone. 

It hooks up to the computer via USB, then I use some nice AKG headphones coming from the toneport.  Granted, its not going to be the same as plugging into a half stack or something, but for what it is, its a hell of a value.  "

No flaming here.

I use a line 6 podxt pluged into my keyboard amp for band practice (im the keyboard guy) it sounds great but I still would want to use and amp/cab/mic setup for recording if I had the space and didnt worry about my neighbors knowing I had guitars they could rip off.  :toothy12:

Brian

No flames at all.  I use a POD 2.0 for practice all the time.  Even done a little direct recording with it.  I even dragged it off to an audition once to save the bother of hauling my half-stack.  It's handy when there's a PA to plug into for practice.  Just got my new Analogman Beano Boost yesterday, so I was tinkering with it last night after work.  It's a very "old school" sound, and will take some getting used to.  I can see that I'll have to crank the 18 watter to really see how the Beano behaves.  I already had 2 overdrives on my board (an original-issue Marshall Guv'nor + a Crowther Hotcake).  I'm finding the Hotcake makes a great solo boost pedal at the end of the chain.  It kicks up the decibals nicely set as a clean boost with just a slight amount of drive.  As for the Beano, I quickly found it needs to be in front of an already distorted amp.  It does not work well at all as a "pedal" by itself into a clean channel.  I think the last pedal on my board will have to be a fuzz-face of some kind for my Strat.  I've been leaning toward either an Analogman Sunface or maybe a Fulltone '69.  Anyway, done babbling.

Back