Need to fill some black korina

Malta

My chambered black korina jazz came in today (will post pics tonight) and I'm eager to start the finishing process. I want a super smooth "baby's butt" feel to it, so I was thinking I'd go with satin Deft, but I've never grain filled before. Any suggestions on brand/type of filler to use? Also,  can I apply some Bullseye amber shellac then spray the Deft over that? Should I grain fill before or after the shellac?

Filling the grain will be the single most important step you take to get that smooth finish.
I can not stress the importance of this step enough.

That being said, there are a bunch of methods you can use to fill the grain.
Lots of guys use the McFadden grain filler.  I have used it myself with decent results.
It takes forever to dry though, and may still shrink afterward.

Lately I have been filling grain using Z-Poxy, which you can buy from LMI.
If you do a search of "Z-Poxy", you can find a semi-informative thread I put together on using it.

Whichever route or product you use, you will need several applications to fully fill the pores.
The pores of Korina are quite large.

You should also find plenty of information on this forum, as this topic has been discussed quite a bit.

Best of luck,
James

Oh yea, shellac goes OVER (after) the grain filler.

I'm in the midst of filling my black korina VIP, and am finished filling the black korina strat neck I'm putting on it.  I used Stew Mac clear waterbase grain filler and a squeegee, following the method that LMI has on their site for doing finishes with Tru-oil:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/TruOil.htm

I've done a number of applications of the clear grain filler on the body (I think about 5 or 6) and am now just doing applications of the Birchwood Casey sanding sealer and filler as the pores are just about leveled off.  Like Watershed said, be prepared for multiple applications of filler and lots of sanding.  This is the first time I've tried doing this so I'm no expert, but those pores are gradually getting filled up and the surface is coming out very smooth.  The Stew Mac stuff is good, but I haven't tried other fillers (except Behlen's "mahogany" filler, which was kind of a pain and is the color of Pepto -- I'd avoid it).

I also have a can of Stew Mac's black waterbase grain filler, and I'm using that on a small piece of black korina board that's going to be a small shelf.  I noticed when I put a coat on the other day that it raised the grain something fierce, which didn't really happen with the clear stuff (the consistency is very different between black and clear).  If you're going for the black waterbase stuff, you may want to dampen the surface of the korina to raise the grain and sand it back with 220 grit paper a few times first.  That will give you a smoother surface for applying the filler.

I used the chocolate brown LMI Micro-bead FIller ( water based - FMBF8(R)  ) and it was very easy to use on my black korina strat body.
It looks like melted chocolate when it's going on, dries quickly and sands easily. I even used it to fill a small ding and it came out looking just like a small knot in the wood. I used my fingers and latex gloves to apply it.
I'm very happy with this product.

Thanks for the input guys. I was eyeing some behlen brown filler at woodcraft yesterday but I think I'll order some clear instead. Is there any difference between the stuff at lmi vs stewmac?

I used the LIGHT version of this stuff on my mahogany body.........which was then stained and lacquered.
Really happy !
http://www.bartleycollection.com/catalog/index.php?l=product_detail&p=141

alotawatts said:
I used the LIGHT version of this stuff on my mahogany body.........which was then stained and lacquered.
Really happy !
http://www.bartleycollection.com/catalog/index.php?l=product_detail&p=141

Any pics of how that turned out?

Back