Need some ideas for non-standard strat wiring

benbreard

Hey guys,

I've been enjoying my Warmoth strat for ~4 years now and it's time to tweak the electronics a bit. Part of the inspiration for this was borrowing a friend's Jaguar.

Here's the guitar: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1445590/www/pics/strat-web.png

Today it has Dimarzio Area 61 in the bridge and Area 58 in the neck & middle. I freaking love these pickups; I liked them so much in this guitar I put them in one of my Tom Andersons. ...but that's another story. The wiring is typical except the first tone knob is wired to the neck & middle and the 2nd one is for the bridge pickup.

Here's what I'm looking to do and where I need help:

-replace the 5-way w/ a 2-pole or super switch and wire position 3 w/ bridge & neck. I like the common 7 sound wiring, but I prefer the "middle" tele sound to be the default.
^^I don't need help w/ this, just adding it for context.

-I'd like to possibly add a switch to either retain the traditional middle pickup setting, or better yet, switch the parallel b+n wiring to a series "out of phase" setting.
-add a switch or push/pull pot for a jaguar-esk high-pass filter. I would like this to work across all pickups.

I think that would make for a pretty cool & versatile strat. I'd also like any ideas for mini-toggle switch placements. I'm nervous about making the controls over-crowded. So part of me wants to stick to push/pulls, but those aren't always easy to activate w/ traditional knobs. Push/push & S-1 pots feel cheap and I've had too many bad experiences w/ those to trust them. I guess I'm pretty high maintenance, but I'd really appreciate any ideas on controls, layouts for the pickguard, and wiring diagrams.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

Here's a link to the wiring I've put into my strat and my three pickup tele. It's not exactly what you mentioned but it has 10 very useful sounds.

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25276.0

As for the push pull pot with standard knob, if you get one with a longer bushing it will make the knob set up a little from the pickguard making it easier to pull.

Back