Need help tweaking a wiring diagram

smjenkins

I've got a dual-humbucker, one tone, one volume, 5 way rotary switch setup I'm planning to implant into the strat in my avatar.  I want to use this wiring diagram, but the neck pickup doesn't have the wires to coil tap.  I was thinking it would be cool to have the 4th position instead be the bridge and neck in parallel.  Would that be possible?  Thanks in advance for any help here.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH5R11_04/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers5-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume1-Tone-04.html

I'll draw you a diagram later today.
That's fairly simple.

I find it interesting that someone would want a neck+bridge series option but not parallel, in the original diagram?

I didn't look at the diagram before, so now I realize that they mean neck and bridge parallel, with series coils for each humbucker.

6239118566_a640e7a630_o.png

Thanks line6man.  How do I read the middle section?  Are the lines in your diagram the top-top, top-bottom, bottom-top and bottom-bottom rows of connectors on the rotary switch?

smjenkins said:
Thanks line6man.  How do I read the middle section?  Are the lines in your diagram the top-top, top-bottom, bottom-top and bottom-bottom rows of connectors on the rotary switch?

Each "C12345" set is one pole, you can use any pole on the switch, they are all the same. "C" is the common, and the numbers are the throws for each position. You can cross-reference with the terminal layout shown in the original diagram.

My art skills are rather limited, so I do rotary switches this way.

Thanks for all the help line6man.  I wired this up today.  Here's a new pic with the humbuckers and the rotary switch.  The tone knob is rotating the opposite way of the volume knob.  Any idea if this is a wiring error or potentially a part issue (aka I got a reverse pot)?

6252518771_c4baf71acb_b.jpg

smjenkins said:
Thanks for all the help line6man.  I wired this up today.  Here's a new pic with the humbuckers and the rotary switch.  The tone knob is rotating the opposite way of the volume knob.  Any idea if this is a wiring error or potentially a part issue (aka I got a reverse pot)?

6252518771_c4baf71acb_b.jpg

What do you mean? Is the taper backwards, or is it cutting treble when you rotate clockwise?

That's a good-looking axe. I've always liked that finish.

My guess is the tone pot is haunted. Take it to your local exorcist, and have them chant at it.

line6man said:
What do you mean? Is the taper backwards, or is it cutting treble when you rotate clockwise?

It is cutting treble when it rolls the opposite direction from the volume knob.  I don't have the guitar with me at work so I can't verify which knob isn't the same as my other guitars, but I'm pretty sure it's the tone one. 

Ok, I fixed this.  I was just  using the wrong leg of the pot.  Doh.  Thanks again line6man for all the help.

Back