HH 3-way wiring diagram?

ruscio

I'd like to use an Oaks-Grigsby 3-way blade switch with two DiMarzio humbuckers, one volume, and one tone. Not looking for anything fancy, just switching between bridge, bridge + neck, neck. I've been poking around online but can't seem to find a diagram that I'm confident is correct for this switch. Can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram that should work? Thanks in advance for any help!

Exactly… did you try poking around the Seymour Duncan website. For something more exciting go to the freeway website.

That is essentially a tele wiring diagram which is posted above and is correct.

If you are not doing any splits etc on the humbuckers that is all that is needed.

Awesome, thanks so much for this! I saw similar diagrams but wasn't sure they'd work with Oaks Grigsby switches b/c I read someplace to be careful in confirming this, which implied they differed somehow. It's extremely reassuring to hear that this diagram will work, and my meager soldering skills should be up to the low level of challenge here!

I never use the tone control on this guitar, but it's already there and I'm just changing up the wiring. The guitar in question has an HSH configuration, but I never use the middle pickup. I really never use the middle pickup on any guitar that has one, and I keep it down low so I can clear it with my picking. Instead of the stock 5-way switch that devotes three positions to middle-pickup options I never use, I'd like to be able to get the neck + bridge together as an option instead. Hence the 3-way switch, which will give me the two options I use a lot (bridge, neck) plus a new one that I use a lot on my HH guitars (neck + bridge). For me, the 3-way will actually be more versatile than the 5-way.

While I'm in there, I'm going to swap out the push-pull volume pot that enables a high-pass filter when pulled. I leave that engaged all the time, so I'd rather not have to have the knob pulled. I suppose I could reverse the settings so that it's engaged when pushed, but I also don't like the volume sensitivity. It's one of those pots that does virtually nothing above or below about a 3, works more like an on/off switch for all practical purposes. I'll use a DiMarzio volume pot that has a more useful taper plus a full-time high-pass filter.

Provided I can get the wiring + soldering correct, these should be pretty minor tweaks that I can reverse if I change my mind. I'll leave the middle (S) pickup and tone control in place purely for cosmetic reasons. The guitar will still look "right", as originally produced. I've been wanting to do this since I got the guitar last July, but didn't want to make even minor mods to something fairly valuable (it's an Ibanez PIA) until I knew for sure I was keeping it.

I never use the tone control on this guitar, but it's already there and I'm just changing up the wiring. The guitar in question has an HSH configuration, but I never use the middle pickup. I really never use the middle pickup on any guitar that has one, and I keep it down low so I can clear it with my picking. Instead of the stock 5-way switch that devotes three positions to middle-pickup options I never use, I'd like to be able to get the neck + bridge together as an option instead. Hence the 3-way switch, which will give me the two options I use a lot (bridge, neck) plus a new one that I use a lot on my HH guitars (neck + bridge). For me, the 3-way will actually be more versatile than the 5-way.

While I'm in there, I'm going to swap out the push-pull volume pot that enables a high-pass filter when pulled. I leave that engaged all the time, so I'd rather not have to have the knob pulled. I suppose I could reverse the settings so that it's engaged when pushed, but I also don't like the volume sensitivity. It's one of those pots that does virtually nothing above or below about a 3, works more like an on/off switch for all practical purposes. I'll use a DiMarzio volume pot that has a more useful taper plus a full-time high-pass filter.

Provided I can get the wiring + soldering correct, these should be pretty minor tweaks that I can reverse if I change my mind. I'll leave the middle (S) pickup and tone control in place purely for cosmetic reasons. The guitar will still look "right", as originally produced. I've been wanting to do this since I got the guitar last July, but didn't want to make even minor mods to something fairly valuable (it's an Ibanez PIA) until I knew for sure I was keeping it.
Sounds like a good plan. I like keeping stuff simple when it comes to guitar electronics.
I have only 2 guitars with the HH configuration, and one of those I have the neck pickup wired in parallel. I absolutely love it.
Full humbucker tone at the bridge, single coil-"ish" tone at the neck without hum, and a full, sparkly clean tone in the middle position when not using overdrive. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the sound of a 'bucker at the bridge and a single-coil at the neck.

It’s all about understanding the tone you want. You want old school Duane Allman tones, you’ll need both tone knobs. Bridge at 2, neck at 7 or so.

I have couple guitars with that ability, the rest have a single tone control. I use it on all of them.

It’s all about understanding the tone you want. You want old school Duane Allman tones, you’ll need both tone knobs. Bridge at 2, neck at 7 or so.

I have couple guitars with that ability, the rest have a single tone control. I use it on all of them.
That always sounded like mud to me, but to each their own.

Back