Necks: right hand reverse vs left handed

Garf

Hi... Just want to know... Apart from the nut being he wrong way around, is there any difference between a right hand reverse neck and a left handed neck?

I'm thinking maybe the tuning holes may be slightly off...

I ask because I'm looking at the in stock necks... And I like reverse head stocks. There are some cheap left handed ones in there.

Cheers

Yes... Funny, I didn't think of that. I'm sure that can be rectified afterwards though....

besides the previously noted nut configuration and side inlays, you'd also have to watch out for any neck with an asymmetric rear contour

Garf said:
Yes... Funny, I didn't think of that. I'm sure that can be rectified afterwards though....

Nope. The dots will be on the wrong side, unless you try to redrill and fill with closely matching wood, to hide the silliness. Even then, it's not going to look very dignified.

That answers that then...

It was more about curiosity than anything to see if it would all still line up...

warmoth will add side dots to a lefty neck it you decide to use it in a right handed application.  I think it is $40.  I would not worry about the nut because it is added after you purchase....usually.

The other issues with the adjusters and asymmetrical neck are valid. 

I did purchase a left handed neck on screaming deals.  It was a vintage modern with standard thin contour.  I added the side markers and all is perfect.  Sometime you see that perfect combo, and the price was killer, even with the up charge to add the side dots.

I doubt anyone will ever notice ambidextrous dots. You could even get used to a backwards assymetric contour. If you get famous, people 40 years from now will be ordered backwards contours and paying the inflation adjusted upcharge.  But the side adjust is definitely something to consider. Particularly if the end adjust isn't accessible.

I suspect you'll also notice a stiffness ( not tension, but 'feeling' of stiffness ) difference since the low e now has a lot more distance to go to the tuner and the high e has a lot less.

swarfrat said:
I doubt anyone will ever notice ambidextrous dots. You could even get used to a backwards assymetric contour. If you get famous, people 40 years from now will be ordered backwards contours and paying the inflation adjusted upcharge.  But the side adjust is definitely something to consider. Particularly if the end adjust isn't accessible.

I agree.

One thing I have noticed with the side adjust is that it's rarely necessary. The D/A truss rod makes for such a stable neck that once the thing is dialed in, you rarely ever need to touch it again. Even if you adjust your relief with the neck off the body, it doesn't move much, if at all, once installed and strung up. It's not impossible, of course, but it's a pretty robust system. The exceptions would be if you changed your string gauge set, or perhaps wanted a higher/lower action for some reason. But, how often does that happen? Most guys zero in on what they're comfortable with and stick with it to a fault.

Am I the only one here that is OCD enough to be seriously bothered by having dots on the wrong side?

I don't know if that's an OCD thing. I'm also not sure how many people would even notice. It certainly wouldn't be a gaudy sort of thing where it would draw your attention all the time. Wouldn't even see them if you were the player.

Every "famous" instrument has something wrong with it.

The Gary Moore Peter Green Les Paul had the neck pickup repaired wrong.

The Rory Gallagher Strat had dots missing and incorrectly matched replacements.

The SRV #1 had a butchered trem route to put the wrong one in.

David Gilmour, 6 hole to Kahler back to 6 hole.

Buddy Guy, 5 way switch with 3 identical pickups; no rwrp middle.

EVH Frankenstrat, don't know where to begin.

No one will ever notice the extra dots if you don't show them.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Every "famous" instrument has something wrong with it.... EVH Frankenstrat, don't know where to begin.

LOL!!!

Yeah. Works for him. But, I suspect he has a little more time into the whole "playing" thing than all the wannabes.

That seems to be the thing I've noticed over the years. The ones who spend the time can do anything they want with anything they want. Those that don't just keep throwing money at the problem.

TheJerk.jpeg

All I need is this amp. And this guitar. And that's all I need! Wait... I need this pedal...
and these cords... AND THAT'S ALL I NEED! And these picks and strings... AND THAT'S IT!
That's ALL I NEED! Wait... I need these pickups...

The thing about the dots... It's not just minor. Its physically impossible to see both sides at the same time.

Cagey said:
I don't know if that's an OCD thing. I'm also not sure how many people would even notice. It certainly wouldn't be a gaudy sort of thing where it would draw your attention all the time. Wouldn't even see them if you were the player.

You might not notice when you are playing, but if it's on a stand or a wall hanger, you will definitely notice.

I'm not understanding why this is even a discussion.
You can order any neck you want with a reverse headstock or standard headstock, so why even bother with swapping a lefty neck onto a righty body?

Back