Neck wood opinions wanted

Bburt

Just started a new build and was thinking of going with a Black Korina neck wood with a Birds Eye Maple fretboard.  Any thoughts or opinions on this would be welcomed I have not seen this wood combination before.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
I think the black korina is a good match for that. The birdseye maple might be a little busy, though. You may want to go with plain or roasted maple so it doesn't take your eye away from the body.

I like unusual combinations like that and maybe it's not the only body the neck will ever be attached to... My current project may end up looking busy for similar reasons but I can think about that when it's done :)

swarfrat said:
Roast maple is my new go to when I just want a neck.

Same here. Stuff looks, sounds, and feels good, doesn't require a finish, burnishes up like glass, and isn't expensive. Nothing but upside to it.

The only other roasted option that I would be interested might be Canary, & if it will glue up successfully, I wouldn't be opposed to a Canary Shaft/Roasted Maple Fingerboard.

Another vote here for roasted maple, but with only the lightest of flaming and abalone fret dots.

Decided to have a friend paint the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
I think an ebony fretboard would look great with that.  Black Korina for neck back would be cool too.  Other than that, I think maybe wenge would work?

TZ

I like Maple fingerboards - on maple necks. But I just can't warm up to maple fingerboard on a darker neck. Mental issue I just can't seem to cross.

I would second putting an ebony fretboard on a black korina neck. Hopefully that body is going to remain as uncovered as possible?

For me, with the back that color I'd use a dark colored wood, either Wenge, rosewood or a maple painted black.  For a fretboard, need to stew on that a little.

How about Bocote?

TN11479a.jpg

Or roast maple with some mild figure
VT1705a.jpg

Both sort of carry on the wavy faded bluejean / Van Gogh look

Back