Neck Wont Screw All The Way Down...

yeah, dudes

any time your putting a thing inside another thing, its worth considering lubrication

Edit: that sounded dirtier than i #intended lmao

DuckBaloo said:
Makes sense, they are treated against contaminants, and $7 for a lifetime supply and a conversation piece, it just isn't as easy to store in my tool cabinet. I've used household candles plenty of times.

I’ve used candles as well in a pinch.

Spud said:
Apparently using the wax from a wax toilet setting ring is supposed to be the best actually. Never tried it myself.

That's been my secret for years. The stuff that comes on those Johnny-rings is exactly the same stuff that you can buy labeled as "screw wax".

And then, 75 years later when you've used it all, you're left with a free rubber disc that is good for absolutely nothing.

ooh will you look at that! Guess who remembered they had an old unused wax toilet ring buried in basement? Scraped off a hunk and put in container for future use! Tossed the rest.

index.php

Attachments

• T WAX POWER.JPG
    T WAX POWER.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 89
$1.98 and shipped to my house ... free.  Just tax, and a lifetime supply.  :bananaguitar:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Standard-Toilet-Wax-Ring-007004/100211506#overlay

Attachments

• everbilt toilet wax.PNG
    everbilt toilet wax.PNG
    401 KB · Views: 22
BTW-the wax on mine was dark from the start, was a fancy ring! :laughing7:

While wax is standard procedure, I suggest always checking the neck has been drilled sufficiently deep for the body and neck screws you use.

I never did after installing 30+ necks the past 20-ish year, until I got this beautiful ebony Warmoth neck I was pairing with a Fender USA guitar body + Fender neck screws.
There was resistance so I kept forcing a bit more, after all ebony is a dense wood right ? Until I heard that beautiful cracking sound you really don't want to hear.

In short: I don't know if those Fender USA screws were longer than usual, the body's neck pocket was deeper than usual (likely not), or neck holes weren't as deep as they should have been but the end result was a severely cracked neck heel.

Luckily glue can fix that up very nicely but since then I check it's drilled sufficiently deep if I encounter any unusual resistance.

I always check the screw depth by comparing the exposed length to the neck heel itself before starting.

For the people who may find this thread down the road, it may be worth mentioning that some squier bitter are thinner than warmoth bodies and so the screws may need to be shorter. I have an affinity and bullet strat that both had issues with a neck I had where the screws were a little too long. I think those particular bodies are 1.5” thick as opposed to warmoth 1.75”.

Back