NECK SELECTOR SWITCH

chowlee

In building a doubleneck guitar/bass I incorporated 2 output jacks and a switch to select neck output.  I want to switch one way and have only the guitar audible, another & have both, and one way to only have the bass. Is this possible with dual output jacks.  I would really appreciate a response from anyone who knows.  I have received several answers online but none were correct.  Thanks in advance :guitaristgif:

regular gibson/switchcraft toggle works for that - think of each "instrument" as a pickup and wire accordingly

I used the electronics(intact) from both a bass and a guitar to build the doubleneck and let the local guitar shop do the rewiring. The guitar has 2 controls and a 3 way toggle switch. this works like it should.  The bass has 3 controls. It works like it should.  I have the switch you guys suggest but the best The Guitar Shop can do is: up-both on, middle-both on, down-bass off, guitar on.  I'm thinking the problem is (including my ignorance), the use of 2 output jacks?  Maybe The Guitar Shop?

I think I understand what you're asking... He wants separate bass and guitar outputs, and a 3-way that turns one or both of the outputs on.  Yes, you can do that with a DP3T switch.  I don't have time to draw you a diagram right now but I can do it tomorrow.  I think the problem is that you need a more sophisticated switch.

You needn't have used 2 output jacks; CB & I were talking about wiring the output of each side of the double neck to a Gibson style 3-way and you would toggle either side or both in the middle position to a single output jack

jackthehack said:
You needn't have used 2 output jacks; CB & I were talking about wiring the output of each side of the double neck to a Gibson style 3-way and you would toggle either side or both in the middle position to a single output jack

Yeah, that would be easier... but that's for a 12/6 or something.  For the 4/6 you want to send the two outputs to two different amps.

you're right DBW, the dual output jacks are for the effects of different amps and thanks in advance for the diagrams and info.

Okay, here's how to do it.  You need a DPDT on/on/on switch, probably available at radioshack, or here http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWM23C/Mini_SwitchDouble_Pole_ONONON__Chrome.html

03.jpg

2 -> bass controls
5 -> guitar controls
1 -> bass output
6 -> guitar output

If that doesn't make sense to you no problem, just show the guys at your shop.  If they can't understand you need to find a better shop.  :laughing7:

Good luck, and show us some pics of that doubleneck!

Back