Neck Screws too long for contoured heel?

jemwiz00

The neck screws that I purchased with my Warmoth frankenstrat/soloist project appear to be too long.

I purchased the countoured heel screws (2 long, 2 short) and the short screws appear to be the right length for the long part, but the long screws are too long for the long part.
They are both too long for the short part not to get into the fingerboard unless they cut them. What is the length of the screws I need and should I cut them myself or get new screws?

If that makes any sense at all, please help! This is my first ever build and I have gotten this far with very few problems...knock on wood....and I don't want to go on until I am certain.

Thanks.

This may be a silly question, but you are using a neck plate, right?  If so, perhaps you could add a neck plate spacer?

I've only installed them using a neck plate, never seen an issue are you SURE they're too long?

+1 to Jack.  My LPS had a contoured heel and with the neck plate and no spacer everything was fine. 

How long are they?  Measure them for us... and measure the depth of the body's heel at its thinnest point... and measure the thickness of the neck at the heel... maybe one of those parts is the wrong size!

I just had a similar issue with my build - turns out that the contoured heel screws don't take into account the 720 mod - I ended up buying some stainless screws from a machine shop. A  single 32mm screw and three 38mm screws did the trick I found...

I just ran into this issue with a contoured heel as well. One of the long screw positions really needed a short screw, and the short screw positions needed even shorter screws.

The equivalent screws that I found were called "sheet metal" screws at Lowes. I did not use their wood screws because the zinc or brass would really look cheap on the neck plate.

Sheet metal screws, size 8 stainless steel. I picked up 1" through 1-3/8" lengths in 1/8" increments.

Back