Neck screw holes - 1/8" or 7/64"?

stubhead

Master Member
There are definitely at least three diameter sizes of 1.75" long "neck screws" kicking around. I have some Genuine Fender Neck Screws! (ffft) that'll take a 1/8" for sure, then some others in a little bag (I swear they'd have come from Warmoth, unless they didn't) that sure look like a 7/64"... go ahead, tell me it doesn't matter....  :sad1: I had some really mongo ones I put on Spermy the Imprecision Bass, if I could remember where I'd got 'em I'd get more - the toothier the merrier, sayeth the Beav. :toothy12:

what do your dial calipers tell you about the screws you're planning to use on this build?

(following your measurement instruments - as important in guitar assembly as it is in piloting an airplane  :toothy10:)

all the best,

R

I was just curious as to what people do - I know what I'm going to do*... Warmoth says they drill their necks 1/8" (8/64"), Carvin says they use "#8 wood screws" on their bolt-necks and there's a chart saying to use 3/32" (6/64") pilot holes for #8's on hardwoods...
http://www.sizes.com/tools/woodscrewpilot.htm
The reason I'm even curious is cause #49 wire size bits work so much better for "normal" tuning head screws than 1/16" bits, and I'm wondering if anyone gets obsessive enough to use multiple different-sized pilot holes merely to attach a neck that's going to get 200 lbs pull on it.... secret metric bits? I can't use your (Sk-Funk) neck anchors on this baby without doing some metalwork (10-32's uh-uh), they're for the basses anyway.

S6300115-1.jpg

*(but it's secret)

Back