Neck profiles for 1-5/8" Nut

GreenTea

Hello all,

I recently ordered a tele neck that with a 1-5/8" nut, it was off the in stock inventory (standard thin profile). I thought the standard thin felt quite nice on the 1-11/16" nut neck I ordered from Warmoth previously. However on the more narrow neck the standard thin was just too thin for me. I don't have huge hands, many of my favorite necks are around .830 in thickness at the first fret, and I really prefer 1-5/8" nut width. It seems like my only option to get this type of thickness is the srv profile neck. I've never played an asymmetrical neck before though. Curious what other folks who like a neck that isn't .800 thickness or so but not a baseball bat either do on the 1-5/8" necks. I've given some thought to the Clapton and EVH profiles too, but I'm concerned the evh will be too thin and I've never played a v neck guitar.

I play a pretty even mix of lead and rhythm. The asymmetric thing isn't something opposed to, in some ways it sounds like it could be a nice happy medium. Curious what folks on here think... I've only had two Warmoth necks and both were standard thins.

Welcome to the forum.

With Warmoth necks I have standard thins in 1 11/16" and 1 5/8". I think the sweet spot for this neck profile is 1 11/16" as I think the profile in addition to the thickness works better overall.

I have also had a Warmoth 1 5/8" in a 59 profile but whilst a good neck shape etc I would have preferred something slightly thinner so the forum member who has it now finds it very comfortable for him.

So overall I do not think it is just nut width and thickness but also the profile. In addition some neck thicknesses taper more than others towards the body.

For 1 5/8" necks that I find ideal are not Warmoth's as the profiles meet my personal feel better even though the thickness may be similar. I also play a variety of styles and find that different widths etc lend themselves better to some things than others. I will also say that there is no such thing as the perfect neck for everything.

I can understand asking for opinions  and for thoughts etc, but the most important fact to bear in mind is that these are all individual and subjective and the only way you will really know is to try them yourself.

stratamania said:
Welcome to the forum.

With Warmoth necks I have standard thins in 1 11/16" and 1 5/8". I think the sweet spot for this neck profile is 1 11/16" as I think the profile in addition to the thickness works better overall.

I have also had a Warmoth 1 5/8" in a 59 profile but whilst a good neck shape etc I would have preferred something slightly thinner so the forum member who has it now finds it very comfortable for him.

So overall I do not think it is just nut width and thickness but also the profile. In addition some neck thicknesses taper more than others towards the body.

For 1 5/8" necks that I find ideal are not Warmoth's as the profiles meet my personal feel better even though the thickness may be similar. I also play a variety of styles and find that different widths etc lend themselves better to some things than others. I will also say that there is no such thing as the perfect neck for everything.

I can understand asking for opinions  and for thoughts etc, but the most important fact to bear in mind is that these are all individual and subjective and the only way you will really know is to try them yourself.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think that you're certainly right when you say actual neck profiles can change how a neck feels as much as thickness or nut width. Most of the guitars I've played regularly are Fender C shaped necks and my Les Paul which is D shaped. Admittedly my guitars are pretty standard fare, and it wasn't until I ordered a custom neck from Warmoth that I really started paying attention to things like nut width. I'm not new to guitar by any means, but fairly new to ordering necks. As you said, the only real way to know is to try one and see if it works. None of us have the same hands, and even if we did I suppose our tastes could vary. Perhaps best not to over think things and just give something new a shot.

Back