Neck pocket too tight?

line6man

Epic Member
I got my Jazz bass body today! But unfortunately, neither of my 2 necks will fit in the neck pocket...
I called up Warmoth, and they said that the neck pocket probably swelled up, and I should just give it a few days to see if it shrinks back up.
FWIW, The neck pocket looks like its about a sixteenth if an inch too narrow.

What do you guys make of the situation?

I have had to lightly sand the sides of the neck pocket on one LP body, especially is the neck has a finish in it. 

I tried both my necks, one is finished maple, and the other is unfinished Padouk.

Tighter is better than looser.

Give it a few days.

If she doesn't relax, and let the neck slip in, I think I would take it to a local machine shop.

Unless you work at one, like I do.
:D
Not more than a 15 minute job to carefully clamp/mill that pocket out a CH.

May cost you a six pack.

If you don't know what a CH is, PM me.

LOL

I gave my advice here (remember the GENTLY part):
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7115.0

Mind that some people thought it horrifying :laughing7:

What is a CH?

Well, i took the bass to my luthier and he is going to take care of the neck pocket for me...

accurate measurements?? you have access to a set of dial calipers??

you do realize it's customary for the neck pocket sides to need some careful sanding to remove the finish build-up on the body?

FWIW most every body I've had with a spray finish requires this kind of adjustment - it's all part of what it takes to finesse a pile of well crafted parts into a custom instrument. cheaper instruments get around this by machining larger neck pockets and elimintating the craftsmanship of a good set-up tech.

all the best,

R

There is no paint or anything at all in the pocket...
It's perfectly clean, just tight.

this is an unfinished body?

so now the need for accurate (dial caliper type) measurements becomes even greater.

all the best,

R

My neck and body was an extremely tight fit.
It went together snugly. Just perfect in my opinion.

I tried the trick of loosening the neck screws with tension on the strings and it didn't move.
I was really lucky I guess.

This is no longer an issue. My luthier took care of it for me.

From the email he sent me:

The neck fits perfectly. No overhang, no gap. The treble side of the pocket was a little rough, I had to spend a while smoothing that out and expanding the lower right corner. Once that was done, the pocket matched the pickguard, and the neck dropped in very tight. I always like a tight neck joint, so I ensured this one will hold the body up without any screws installed. (and it does, very well)

great to hear you got this squared away l6m!

do you know if it required any router work, or was it just a case of dedicated 'sand to fit' type of tweaking?

all the best,

R

He only charged me $10 above the cost of the setup for sanding the pocket in, so i am guessing that it was just straightforward sanding.
I can't imagine that he used a router, and he didn't say anything about routing.

Back