neck fit

newtele

:icon_scratch: Just got my new tele body in. I will post pics soon.  Its a rear rout with just a bridge pick-up. The neck sits  higher than the body in the pocket. Is it supposed to be that way? If it is I don't mind, I just don't want to have the wrong neck. When I bought the neck from the showcase it said Tele...

That's normal. When you look at the neck join area you should see almost as much neck wood as fingerboard wood above the top of the body.

1857111190_efc4206407.jpg

WillyK's axes are all ass-backwards, don't let that throw you off....  Look at the pic in a mirror

the joint and neck are to the vintage fender specs. that keeps it all compatible. nofmally fenders have a pickguard which fills the gap perfectly. the gap is entirely normal and you'll need to live with it unless you can find someone you really trust to route the pocket deaper, note that doing this means a slight angle in the pocket 1-1.5 deg. i did this to my tele with a jig i made. i don't know the precise angle off the top of my head as i used the taper per inch method to make the angle which works out like this .125/7.125= aprox .0175 per inch that is 17.5 thousandths or 52.5 thou over the length of the neck joint, quite small but very important.

I'm good at this off topic thing.......Willy,  whats the neck wood on that bad boy?  It looks killer.

Ta.
Jim

jimh said:
I'm good at this off topic thing.......Willy,  whats the neck wood on that bad boy?  It looks killer.

Ta.
Jim

That one's a bubinga neck with a kingwood board. I sprayed a thin coat of satin poly on the bubinga bits. It still feels like it's naked but the figuring came up just beaut!

Alder body with quilt maple top dyed red. birdseye maple neck with ablone dots.

Attachments

• newbody1.jpg
    newbody1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 277
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW  YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHH

Look at the bookmatching on that quilt.  Great stuff.
Pics of it fully finished please ! ! ! !

Willyk that figure in the fretboard is awesome.

newtele that tele looks good, or rather just plain bitchen awesome

Thats really nice mate.
What pickup did you go for?
I love the bookmatched quilt maple.  and great colour choice too.

Nice one.

I was just thinking to day of doing almost that exact setup.  I would do a alder back, hallow, with a spalted maple top, light brown burst in a gloss finish, with a canery neck and kingwood finger board, but with your pickup/bridge setup.  Of course this would be after finishing the build I am waiting on now, and after talking the wife into it, which might require buying another bedroom suit or some such...

Back