Neck Binding with no Finish

f1badude

Another question before I place my next order.

I plan to have trapezoid inlays with binding on my neck. I was originally going to order a flame maple back but now I'm leaning towards padouk as I really like the feel of unfinished necks. Despite the argument over finished vs. unfinished maple, I don't like the apearance of unfinished maple. This si whay I am leaning to Padouk as it retains a similar sound quality as maple but looks great unfinished.
Only concern is, would the binding look OK without clear coat over it? I'm also wondering if it would look right against a bound body that does have finish over it.

Any thoughts?

PS: If anyone has done a padouk neck without finish, how does it look after a few years of use?

BA

It looks great... this is a raw bubinga/ebony neck with ivoroid binding.

2883859234_e9e2f2b625.jpg

You can see it matches the finished binding perfectly  :rock-on:

dbw said:
It looks great... this is a raw bubinga/ebony neck with ivoroid binding.

You can see it matches the finished binding perfectly  :rock-on:

That does look great. How does the bubinga feel to play?

Good that you don't like the look of maple unfinished... it would get green, etc with time...

think you won't have problems with a binding and no finish :D

NonsenseTele said:
Good that you don't like the look of maple unfinished... it would get green, etc with time...

Hey Fernando, You made it to 4000 posts....... :eek:ccasion14:  I'm right behind ya buddy.....

We can now resume our regularly scheduled thread..... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
NonsenseTele said:

Hey Fernando, You made it to 4000 posts....... :eek:ccasion14:  I'm right behind ya buddy.....

We can now resume our regularly scheduled thread..... :icon_biggrin:

Yes, I made this post to get faster to 4000 :laughing7:
And it turned nice, almost became a "roasted pig" right after it on work  :laughing3:

Back