NCD x2: some ups and downs

kboman

So, downer 1: I've been having (running?) a fever since friday morning. I thought today would be the day when I recovered, but oh no, no such luck.

NCD 1: New computer day! I have a completely new computer with pretty much the latest stuff in it as far as I needed/could afford it. Intel 2500K processor, 8GB of RAM, PowerColor HD6850 PCS graphics card, Noctua processor fan; all mounted to an Asrock motherboard and houseed in a pretty all white Fractal Design Define R3 chassi. Also a new 22" BenQ screen. It's... night and day, simply, from my old one. I just need to get a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and then I'm done.

Downer 2, however, is that Intel has found a design flaw in their latest motherboard designs leading to quickly degrading SATA ports. Sigh. We'll see what happens there I guess, it was discovered yesterday.

NCD 2: New cat day! Me and my girlfriend bought a burmese on sunday, a 2,5 year old male who is kind of small and talks a lot. He's also very social and cuddly and loves to sleep next to us under a blanket when we watch tv. Cute? You bet!

So while the worldy stuff is sorting itself out, I still feel terrible from all the fever. Kind of hard to get appropriately excited.

Sorry to hear about the health issue; those are never any fun even if you know it's only temporary.

Congrats on the new computer; those are always fun. The SATA port issue may not affect you right away, and Intel has already set aside $700M to rectify the situation so you're not going to get stuck. Plus, if you only have a couple HDDs, you could just hook them up to the 6Gb/s controllers as they're not affected, only the SATA II controllers have the problem. In case you haven't seen it, there's some detail here.

Also, congrats on the cat. I'm a huge fan of the Burmese breed, and have always wanted one ever since a good friend got one that I was fortunate enough to get to spend a lot of time with. Came close to my own once, but it died early due to reactions to the immunization shots. I understand that's fairly common with that breed.

They really are unique, though. Absolutely gorgeous animals. Talkative, as you mentioned, and almost eerie about it with a wide variety of vocal inflections that really sound as if it's trying to talk, or at least respond in kind to what you're saying. They're also highly personal, demanding attention and companionship like a teen-aged girlfriend. Also eerie is the degree of intelligence they exhibit, with frequent well-thought out tricks they'll play on you just for fun. The only problem is they're basically fearless, so you have to be very strict about keeping them indoors because their fight-or-flee instinct almost doesn't have a "flee" option, and not all fights are winnable. Of course, like all orientals, their fighting skills are incredible - even large dogs have much to fear from them. But, they're not invincible. They can't win fights with cars, for instance.

Yeah, I've been following the Intel reporting and I rewired a bit this morning before I started things up. It's a bummer I can't use my second HDD for awhile, but eh. I have plenty of room on this one and I'm definitely not taking any chances with the other!

I had only a small onset of fever today and I think it's been pretty good and stable since then. Fingers crossed, I'm really tired of moping around here. The cat is fun but he really does sleep a lot (he has slept deeply for the last ca 90 minutes). Still, utterly adorable... I'll post some photos later. We are still working out which toys will work the best and he seems to like strings.

That's a nice case!  Looks like cable management will be a snap.  I went with the Coolermaster CM-690 on my new build, cable management is...ok.  Loving the bottom PSU mounts that everybody's going to.

Here's a good photo of the little guy. He's really gotten used to us now and loves to sleep under the covers next to me at night (in fact he insists on it!). We have put some meat on his bones too as he was pretty skinny when we got him. Our sofa though is... not so healthy anymore :toothy12:

img0441gv.jpg

We're thinking of getting him a companion later, but while my gf is still a student he has plenty of company.

The computer is ticking along beautifully and I'm obviously fully recovered from the cold. It took 3-4 weeks to get well though :tard:

Back