NBD! (New Bike Day...)

Verne Bunsen

It's been a few years since I rode; I haven't had a decent bike since we moved from Alaska back in 2012 and I haven't made any time for it anyway. Fast forward to present and my youngest (now 3) is crazy about bikes and bumpy terrain. He has a little glide bike and we can't keep him off of it. He drives it over everything. I want to foster his interest, and so my interest is perking back up. I just purchased a Cannondale Trail 6, and I'm really liking it. A lot.

Photo%20Sep%2001%2C%205%2030%2052%20PM.jpeg

At 5'10" and 180#, I am right between their medium and large frames. I tried them both and was more comfortable on the large frame. I've err'd on the smaller side in the past and always wished I went up instead, so this time I did. It is the first bike I've ever ridden with disc brakes (hydraulic disc brakes at that), and they are really sweet. A guy could get used to hydraulic disc brakes on his bike.

It has no kickstand, and I was told that none can be retrofitted to it. In fact when I asked the guy at the shop, he kind of reacted like I had asked him where the 5-1/4" floppy drive is on my new computer. I picked up the wheel stand you see in the picture, it works really well.

To get the little one out with me I got a WeeHoo Turbo trailer. It won't be in for a couple of weeks, but it looks really cool:
3-Weehoo-side+view+Turbo-Bike-Trailer-with-Bike-shadow.jpg

1-Main-Weehoo-Turbo-Bike-Trailer-with-Bike-shadow.jpg

You can see why the lack of a kickstand was kind of a complication, haha! A really cool feature of this trailer is that the pedals and drivetrain are fully functional, which means that if he is so inclined he can actually help out as dad drags him up hills and whathaveyou.

I'm excited to get out riding again, and even more excited to get the little one out with me! My oldest, who turns 12 in November, has never had any interest at all in bikes. Despite multiple attempts. I'm kind of hoping that seeing dad and brother going out having adventures will light a bit of a fire in him.

New Bike Day is a good day!

Nice looking bike. There are some really sophisticated frames available these days. That one looks like a nice lightweight one.

A kickstand can get you in trouble if the spring lets go. You could probably lean it against that spindly little bush behind it in the photo and be fine. Or stand a soda can under one pedal. Or just lay it down. It's not like there's any gas to leak out. :icon_thumright:

I toured the Kestrel factory here one time. It was fascinating to see the geometry and concerns in manufacturing them. Ride on, my friend!

Rgand said:
A kickstand can get you in trouble if the spring lets go. You could probably lean it against that spindly little bush behind it in the photo and be fine. Or stand a soda can under one pedal. Or just lay it down. It's not like there's any gas to leak out. :icon_thumright:

That makes sense as to why it could be a concern. It would be a non-issue except that I would like it to stand on its own so I can load and unload the young'n from the trailer. The wheel stand will do the trick at the house and, as you say, I'm sure I can find something to lean it against in the field if need be.

-VB- said:
Rgand said:

That makes sense as to why it could be a concern. It would be a non-issue except that I would like it to stand on its own so I can load and unload the young'n from the trailer. The wheel stand will do the trick at the house and, as you say, I'm sure I can find something to lean it against in the field if need be.
Oh, Yeah. I wasn't thinking about that. Can you carry two small pieces of aluminum angle to chock the wheel on the carrier then turn the bike sideways far enough to let the carrier hold it up?

Maybe also put small bungee cords around the brake levers to keep the bike from rolling then turn it sideways? My wife used a bungee as a parking brake to lock her front brake on her Harley when she had a sidecar on it. It's very effective.

Rgand said:
Maybe also put small bungee cords around the brake levers to keep the bike from rolling then turn it sideways? My wife used a bungee as a parking brake to lock her front brake on her Harley when she had a sidecar on it. It's very effective.

Nice one, I'll remember that!

Nice bike VB, wish we had some good areas to bike ride here, but it's just flat ground..Otherwise I'd love to have a good mountain bike..

DangerousR6 said:
Nice bike VB, wish we had some good areas to bike ride here, but it's just flat ground..Otherwise I'd love to have a good mountain bike..

I took it out for a nice ride today and was firmly reminded of how long it had been since I rode regularly. My sorry butt was whooped! I was wishing for flatter ground, haha! Clearly I have some work to do...

Very cool.  Was in Amsterdam earlier in the month to celebrate the anniversary with the wife.  Was astounded how many bikes there were, and how many different types I had never seen before.

That is a cool looking bicycle.

Where is the motor :icon_scratch:That is a nice bike but that seat looks scary. I've never owned a decent bicycle. Had a nice motorcycle a long time ago. Congrats on the new wheels :eek:ccasion14:

Yeah, but the little guy needs a knobby on that trailer!  (And hopefully it :doh: does NOT have functioning brakes.  You think you're tired now...…) :doh:

i'm worried bout what's in that water bottle Vibbie (short for "the -VB"). Whatever is in ther seems to have become blackened. Did you leave ranch in there on a hot day? if so i got bad news you gonna have to throw that container away, broaster strudel. I've lived that tragedy and there's no coming back from it. my condolences

Haha, thanks guys! It has been a blast!

To answer the questions:

No motor, I’ve actually never owned nor even ridden a motorcycle. Seems like a dirt bike would be a lot of fun, but the idea of riding on the road is a bit horrifying. On account of, you know, other people. I saw a lady curling her eyelashes while driving the other day. No thank you...

The seat is scary, I’m still sore...

The trailer does not have brakes, thankfully! The pedals free-spin backwards. I’m just getting him to where he’ll pedal forward on long hills. I don’t know how much horsepower he contributes, but it’s cool in that he is getting the hang of the pedaling motion. I have the pedals removed from his current 2-wheeler and he just glides/scoots around on it, getting the hang of balancing and steering, but this will make the transition a little easier I think.

I never leave ranch in my beverage bottle. What you see is actually some trees I think, part of a design on the outside. It’s insulated against the southern AZ heat, to keep your ranch (or other delectables) refreshingly cool.

Photo%20Sep%2030%2C%209%2038%2022%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%209%2052%2051%20AM.jpg

I'll bet that's some real fun! But, at the speed kids grow and learn, I'd wonder how long he's gonna be happy in that trailer seat. Of course, I know people who pay a helluva lot more for a boat here in Michigan and use it a helluva lot less. A season or two with that trailer may be well worth whatever it cost.

Ride my bike to work everyday ... welcome back to the bicycle world.

Also, there are all kinds of kickstands ... here's just one.  Also, seats can be changed.  Trek makes some good aftermarkets.

https://www.amazon.com/UHACKER-Adjustable-Kickstand-Aluminum-Black/dp/B07VBZ75LP/ref=asc_df_B07VBZ75LP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366402336386&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16742267957599928267&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004684&hvtargid=pla-818565393323&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=77662694833&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366402336386&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16742267957599928267&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004684&hvtargid=pla-818565393323

Attachments

• green-commute (004).jpg
    green-commute (004).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 200
Back