mystery tele build

teleme01

Senior Member
Messages
763
today i expect to get my new sale item multi piece ash tele. it will be a long term project whereas i have not a neck or any hardware but i enjoy the finish process so i am mainly trying some more wood art. i have not yet seen the woodgrain on this multi piece body so that makes a difference on the finish, but i am thinking of a somewhat yellowish orange body with darkened woodgrain and finished with white tinted shellac, somewhat marykay style. I hope to share pictures tomorrow.
 
today i expect to get my new sale item multi piece ash tele. it will be a long term project whereas i have not a neck or any hardware but i enjoy the finish process so i am mainly trying some more wood art. i have not yet seen the woodgrain on this multi piece body so that makes a difference on the finish, but i am thinking of a somewhat yellowish orange body with darkened woodgrain and finished with white tinted shellac, somewhat marykay style. I hope to share pictures tomorrow.
You will harvest hardware and neck and electronics from previous build and immediately put this together after finishing.
 
Looks like a four piece but looks good to me too. It would even look good with a clear or transparent finish, I think.
i am thinking of transparent lemon orange with black grain, like a doghair but in an orangish tiger, then putting a white tinted shellac so that the marykaye effect is over a tiger finish, thats where the mystery comes in, how will it end up...

from youtubes, i seen where its best to put a washcoat down before using water based stain... i have keda dye powders , i also saw that you could use a thin coat of shellac for the base coat ?? so i am contemplating using the shellac instead of spending money on sand and sealer, am i wrong, should i buy the sand and sealer??
 
One thing to consider with Ash is it has an open grain structure, so without a grain filler and sealer, any finish can sink in. Of course, there are those who take advantage of the open grain nature by not filling it. It depends on what you are going for.
 
I was going with blotchy (character) but i really screwed the pooch when i tried to marykaye. now it has even more character. looks like a weathered old board its definitely relic, the reason for the orange direction is to match with paduck

20230217_095526[509] (3).jpg
 
Last edited:
Oh good golly miss molly! It was going so well! Now it resembles an old piece of plywood.
 
pickguard and bridge will cover a lot of it up, and on the positive side, the back looks great
 
pickguard and bridge will cover a lot of it up, and on the positive side, the back looks great
If that is what you are digging and want it to look like, very cool. It is your vision not mine! Rock on!
 
progress, it looks like reclaimed wood that was used for concrete framing, shiney reclaimed wood
20230218_102002[513] (2).jpg20230218_102122[510] (2).jpg
 
this part of the mystery is revealed, instead of using marykaye, i used blue tinted die which added all kinds of color, then locked it down with poly and a dirty yellow stained rag to apply the poly which added yellow, i know its not everbodies cup of tele, but its definitely going to be unique. the plan is a padouk neck

20230221_163236[515].jpg20230221_163300[514].jpg
 
like the blind pig, i found a nut... when i went to apply the wipe on poly i erantly used a rag that i had previously used with yellow keda water based die on it, unintentionaly, i learned a neat trick on applying wipe on poly. the trick is to use a dried cloth with the colored dye and it tints the poly, instead of marykaye, i ended up with yellowkaye.

20230223_090347[516].jpg
 
Back
Top