My tech has broken my new roasted maple neck :(

I wouldn't worry about the roasted Maple. I've done a whole bunch of them now since Warmoth introduced them what, a year ago? There are 6 or 7 here now, including my own. All without issue. It's now my favorite neck wood. It's relatively light, burnishes up beautifully, sounds like Maple, looks fantastic, doesn't require a finish, and it's not the heavy hit to the wallet some of the exotics can be. Plus it smells like cookies when you open the box! What's not to love?

Of course, I don't try driving tungsten carbide screws directly into the headstocks with an impact wrench, either, so I could be accused of mollycoddling the things... :laughing7:

Maybe I'm missing something, but don't the screws line up along the same axis as the tuner posts? If you extend that line to where it intersects with the crack, things don't seem to line up with the normal screw location.  Check it out below. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 30d611e19c561e93b0209057600a472a.png
    30d611e19c561e93b0209057600a472a.png
    1 MB · Views: 435
Guys, I've been doing repairs for 40 years. I already told you.... someone was lazy and didn't drill for the screws. I've had to fix bunches of them after some dipwap DIY yahoo split the peghead.

BigSteve22 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but don't the screws line up along the same axis as the tuner posts? If you extend that line to where it intersects with the crack, things don't seem to line up with the normal screw location.  Check it out below. :icon_scratch:

unless it is Quartersawn , the crack would not be in perpendicular mirror to other side .

from the back side photo we can see it a kind of plain sawn neck, and it crack at both end near edge, sure it is someone too lazy or no knowledge to drill the hole first.

Roasted maple necks do come with a warning about this occurring.  I put a small crack on the low E string tuner.  Very small but I purposely made it a bit bigger and glued on a maple shim.  You can see it from the back but it seems solid for a year plus.

They had this posed at some time.

Similarly, Roasted Maple is more likely to crack and split when mishandled, and extra caution is required during assembly. Don’t try to force screws and tuner bushings into inadequately or improperly drilled guide holes. Screw guide-holes should be drilled one size larger than normal. Be especially cautious of wood screws with a wider banded area at the end of the shank (like those supplied with Kluson tuners), which require a two-step-drilled hole. When installing tuner bushings, you should be able to push them easily into place, by hand. Measure carefully, don’t force anything, and your build is sure to be a success.

I think there may have been a warning on a recently shipped neck but I cannot be 100% sure

I think roasted wood may become more easy to crack , as roasting burn out, or burn "dead" sugar and other organic constituent inside the wood, which act as a kind of binding agent between wood fiber .  it same as if the wood dry too much , would be more easy to crack than with some organic  moist. if the wood dry too much it crack it self too, as it shrink not balance on different area .

it should be same as roasting it .

DMRACO said:
They had this posed at some time.

Similarly, Roasted Maple is more likely to crack and split when mishandled, and extra caution is required during assembly. Don’t try to force screws and tuner bushings into inadequately or improperly drilled guide holes. Screw guide-holes should be drilled one size larger than normal. Be especially cautious of wood screws with a wider banded area at the end of the shank (like those supplied with Kluson tuners), which require a two-step-drilled hole. When installing tuner bushings, you should be able to push them easily into place, by hand. Measure carefully, don’t force anything, and your build is sure to be a success.

I think there may have been a warning on a recently shipped neck but I cannot be 100% sure
Noted

DMRACO said:

You're right. I've gotten a few of them in recently, but never bothered to look at or read the little bundle of recycling bin filler that comes rubber-banded to the neck because I looked at that stuff 10 years ago and it wasn't terribly interesting then, so I've never looked at it since. But, turns out there is a little warning/disclaimer sheet that says roasted Maple necks are the Devil's whipping sticks and nobody should use them so Cagey gets stuck with all of them. Also, stay away from Kluson tuners. Or, something like that.

I think you just need to sand out the holes a little bigger than normal, and probs drill your pilot hols a li'l larger than normal. Looks like you used the vinage tuners, don't those put a lot more pressure in the wood sinc you have to press fit the front bushings?

Klusons use a retainer screw that has a larger diameter shoulder than the threaded portion of the screw...

s-l300.jpg

So, if you drill a pilot hole to suit the threaded portion of the screw, then it'll be too small for the shoulder and you risk splitting the wood. You're supposed to drill a two-stepped hole to accommodate them.

Just another pinprick on the hemorrhoid that is Kluson tuners.

Installed right, I can see how those would be a good alignment device. I can also see how they could be mistakenly get put in wrong.

Alignment device? That's very kind of you. More likely Kluson managed to get a deal on a warehouse full of cheapie screws for next to nothing, and they've been foisting them off on the public ever since. Kinda like Leo with his automotive surplus paint and war surplus wire and Kluson tuners and string trees instead of properly cut nuts and... the list goes on.

Cagey said:
DMRACO said:

You're right. I've gotten a few of them in recently, but never bothered to look at or read the little bundle of recycling bin filler that comes rubber-banded to the neck because I looked at that stuff 10 years ago and it wasn't terribly interesting then, so I've never looked at it since. But, turns out there is a little warning/disclaimer sheet that says roasted Maple necks are the Devil's whipping sticks and nobody should use them so Cagey gets stuck with all of them.

I only noticed/read that after I'd built it. Oops!

I'm not worried about it. So far, they've all survived The Cagey Treatment, so apparently they've heard what happens to necks that don't please me. It's not... a pleasant ending :sad1:

Why-Does-My-Dog-Like-to-Chew-On-Wood.jpg

Don't like screws? Whaddaya think about fangs?

Besides, I've only been asked to install Klusons once in the last 10 years or so. Usually if Klusons come into my shop, it's because they're being replaced by real tuners.

amigarobbo said:
Cagey said:
DMRACO said:

You're right. I've gotten a few of them in recently, but never bothered to look at or read the little bundle of recycling bin filler that comes rubber-banded to the neck because I looked at that stuff 10 years ago and it wasn't terribly interesting then, so I've never looked at it since. But, turns out there is a little warning/disclaimer sheet that says roasted Maple necks are the Devil's whipping sticks and nobody should use them so Cagey gets stuck with all of them.

I only noticed/read that after I'd built it. Oops!

Just like everyone else.  Who needs instructions

Actually, I'm usually pretty good about reading stuff, even instructions. But, usually only once. My memory isn't worth a tinker's dam but it's not like I'm a chicken, where every day is a new life.

Back