My tech has broken my new roasted maple neck :(

Cagey said:
Actually, I'm usually pretty good about reading stuff, even instructions. But, usually only once. My memory isn't worth a tinker's dam but it's not like I'm a chicken, where every day is a new life.

I hear you.  I constantly alway have to double check the simplest things...like the input jack.  I ALWAYS mix up the ground and hot.  I always look before I connect just to make sure.

AirCap said:
Guys, I've been doing repairs for 40 years. I already told you.... someone was lazy and didn't drill for the screws. I've had to fix bunches of them after some dipwap DIY yahoo split the peghead.
I agree wholeheartedly, I was just looking for a geometric correlation.
Hendrix said:
unless it is Quartersawn , the crack would not be in perpendicular mirror to other side .
Good point. So I lightened the image, and played with the contrast, and I was able to better see where the crack emerged on the back of the headstock, and indeed it is offset. So I traced the crack along the edge, (Green line). Now, drawing a line parallel to the crack on the front, through the point where the crack emerges on the back, (yellow line), we get a much better indication of where the screw would need to be in order to crack the headstock as shown. After checking a drawing of Kluson type vintage tuners, it looks to be exactly where it should be. Geometric correlation achieved. (Just to satisfy my own curiosity.....)  :glasses9:

Attachments

• 30d611e19c561e93b0209057600a472a.png
    30d611e19c561e93b0209057600a472a.png
    694.2 KB · Views: 373
Well, at least he didn't drop it.  Damn those screws!! (or those guys who don't believe in pilot holes)

Cagey said:
Where is this warning?

Every Warmoth Roasted Maple neck should arrive with a little piece of paper rubber banded to it, that says this:

"Congratulations on your purchase of a Warmoth Roasted Maple neck! Your new neck is built from one of the most stable woods available. This inherent stability means that no finish is required. When played this way, Roasted Maple necks deliver the ultra-fast, satiny feel many players love. Their signature tone is bright and clear, similar to standard Maple. They also boast a deep caramel color, for a beautifully aged look right out of the box.

Enjoying the benefits of Roasted Maple does require some extra care during assembly. It is not as forgiving as standard Maple. If you try to force screws and tuner bushings into inadequately or improperly drilled guide holes, Roasted Maple is more likely to split. Extra caution is required. Screw guide-holes should be drilled one size larger than normal. Be especially cautious of wood screws with a wider banded area at the end of the shank (like those supplied with Kluson tuners), which require a two-step-drilled hole. When installing tuner bushings, you should be able to push them easily into place, by hand. Measure carefully, don’t force anything, and your build is sure to be a success.

We hope you enjoy your new Roasted Maple neck! It was built to last a lifetime."

In addition, there are also these two delightfully entertaining and well-written articles on the Warmoth blog:
http://blog.warmoth.com/2016/06/15/guitarists-guide-guide-holes/
http://blog.warmoth.com/2015/11/17/roasted-maple-necks-yum/

Yeah, I see that now that I looked. I have a few here at the moment and just didn't pay attention to the little bundle of joy after I pulled it off and tossed it back in the box. Luckily, I have highly sophisticated customers who would never ask me to install Klusons  :laughing7:

Incidentally, good articles, well-written.

BigSteve22 said:
Good point. So I lightened the image, and played with the contrast, and I was able to better see where the crack emerged on the back of the headstock, and indeed it is offset. So I traced the crack along the edge, (Green line). Now, drawing a line parallel to the crack on the front, through the point where the crack emerges on the back, (yellow line), we get a much better indication of where the screw would need to be in order to crack the headstock as shown. After checking a drawing of Kluson type vintage tuners, it looks to be exactly where it should be. Geometric correlation achieved. (Just to satisfy my own curiosity.....)  :glasses9:

Wow....just like all the special-ops/FBI/computer hacker people in the movies!!!  :glasses9:

"Computer....Zoom. Enhance. A-ha...there's you're suspect!!!"

"Enhance two twentyfour to one seventysix"

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qHepKd38pr0[/youtube]

double A said:
BigSteve22 said:

Wow....just like all the special-ops/FBI/computer hacker people in the movies!!!  :glasses9:

"Computer....Zoom. Enhance. A-ha...there's you're suspect!!!"
:laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7: :toothy12:

You gotta love bullshit Hollywood SFX. You would think with all the ground-breaking high-end technology they actually use to make movies that they'd know better than script some of the things they do the way they do. But, no. You listen to some of the dialog while watching what happens and it's as if they'd never seen/used a computer or any kind of electronics, ever.

Cagey said:
You gotta love bullshit Hollywood SFX. You would think with all the ground-breaking high-end technology they actually use to make movies that they'd know better than script some of the things they do the way they do. But, no. You listen to some of the dialog while watching what happens and it's as if they'd never seen/used a computer or any kind of electronics, ever.

Worst computer-hacker trope ever:

[punches 12 random keys while staring intently at screen] "I'm in!"

Hehe! Yeah. I can't even get into my own computer that fast, and I already have the magic words.

Although, never underestimate the laziness/stupidity of some people. I used to work for a machine tool OEM where we had maybe 25 engineers with workstations all tied to a central server where everything that was ever anything was stored. Admin password? "password". I kid you not. Admin's excuse? "What difference does it make? If I make it complex and give it to 25 engineers, it would stay secret for about 18 seconds, tops."

So you don't give the admin password to the main server to anybody, you dingbat! Sheesh!

double A said:
Cagey said:
Where is this warning?

Every Warmoth Roasted Maple neck should arrive with a little piece of paper rubber banded to it, that says this:

I also never read or open that little piece of paper rubber banded to neck after I read the first one on my first warmoth neck, because I assume it all the same .

so if want buyer pay ex attention , I suggest put a label on out side of bag said " extra care for roasted maple " or something ppl know it different.

Yeah but at least the UI's in Hollywood pics (except the rare occasions when they are just terminal screens) are all gleaming examples of how computers don't actually look or sound, so they have that going for them.

As long as there are plenty of pointlessly blinking purposeless unmarked lights, we're good to go.

Cagey said:
So you don't give the admin password to the main server to anybody, you dingbat! Sheesh!

So I work at the cheerful intersection of legal and information security at a pretty big tech company, and one of the things I do is participate in integrating acquired companies into our systems, and my goodness, but there's a lot of bad behavior at startups.  That kind of thing - everyone has a PW to a production server - is not uncommon in my world.  SMDH, several times a week.  "Wait, you don't actually have a paid-for license or disaster recovery plan for the software you use for all of your source code management?  You mean the kid in the mailroom has access to the power mains for your data center?  Your company's trade secrets are on a bargain basement cloud provider?  Your sales people have delete rights on your production servers?  Well,  NO, we won't let you keep those systems in place, thankyouverymuchforasking."

Yup, I read it.  I've always drilled for anything, ever.  Roasted maple or not.  I mean, who just takes a screw and drives it home, ever?  Cracked finishes, not to mention cracked wood, any wood.

Of course, I've never installed those weird Kluson screws.  It is possible that the tech did actually drill for screws, and it cracked anyway because of the larger shoulder.  But I think I would have stopped after one.  It's the second one that gives me pause.

At least he's going to be stand-up about the whole thing, it sounds like.

Bagman67 said:
...my goodness, but there's a lot of bad behavior at startups.

It's amazing, isn't it? Otherwise highly intelligent people who somehow can't see how much truly serious danger they put themselves in. I don't even keep anything sensitive or valuable on my machines and I'm running security as if half the NSA, the Mafia, the Taliban and Anonymous were dogging my ass. My keys have keys, fer crissakes. And I'll bet Google still knows more about me than I do  :laughing7:

Which is another excuse I hear all the time from people for ignoring security: they're gonna getcha anyway. Well, maybe so, but I'm not going without a fight. I mean, God, at least keep the children and the bag ladies out!

Cagey said:
Bagman67 said:
...my goodness, but there's a lot of bad behavior at startups.

It's amazing, isn't it? Otherwise highly intelligent people who somehow can't see how much truly serious danger they put themselves in. I don't even keep anything sensitive or valuable on my machines and I'm running security as if half the NSA, the Mafia, the Taliban and Anonymous were dogging my ass. My keys have keys, fer crissakes. And I'll bet Google still knows more about me than I do  :laughing7:

Which is another excuse I hear all the time from people for ignoring security: they're gonna getcha anyway. Well, maybe so, but I'm not going without a fight.

We just absorbed a corp where the lead hardware designer didn't back annotate ANY design changes back into the schematics.  The whole thing was done with sticky notes to the contract manufacturer (CM) for every change - and there were a lot of changes.  Guess what happened when we took the designs and tried to build them in our plant?  :eek: :tard: :doh:

This?

health_20070810_productive_banner.jpg

My personal favorite is when movie computer screens project onto their users' faces (usually in a moment of dramatic revelation).  Which, boy it must suck to look at those screens-that-are-actually-projectors.  My other personal favorite is pieces of software that inexplicably have highly-detailed and sophisticated user interfaces/graphics.

And oh, those ever-present unlabeled blinking lights!

Back