My SG build (Completed w/pics)

Ted

So here's my first Warmoth build. Neck is being built and should be with me in approx 5 weeks.  :headbang:

Its a showcase SG body with maple top and mahogany body, neck will be 59 roundback bubinga / ebony with MOP dots.

Some pics for you guys:

CIMG2547.jpg

CIMG2559.jpg

CIMG2550.jpg

The pickups are Bare Knuckle Warpig (bridge) and Mississippi Queen (neck). 

Great looking SG!  That thing is gonna be smoking!  What's the extra control hole for, if you don't mind my asking?

Yep, the input jack is on top rather than side.

I am curios to find out what (if anything) the hole below the maple cap in the neck pocket is?!!

-CB- is going to like your pickup configuration.

Beautiful guitar.

Ted said:
Yep, the input jack is on top rather than side.

I am curios to find out what (if anything) the hole below the maple cap in the neck pocket is?!!

to drill holes for wires, they just go through the neck instead of angling it weird.

to drill holes for wires, they just go through the neck instead of angling it weird.

Aaah I get it.

Cheers RLW, yes I think it looks very nice too.  :icon_thumright:

CB yes its a standard Warmoth thickness (thick) SG. Its quite a dense and heavy piece of Mahogany. I didn't pay much attention to the weight of it on the Showcase, which may been a bit of a schoolboy error, but hey live and learn. It will be a physically heavy guitar, BUT as long as it sounds good, I won't care...  :rock-on:

RLW said:

Beautiful guitar.

Actually, I'd rather see a P94 up there... the Phats are a little SWG * for my tastes.  The P94 has more meaty tone.

But I do like it!

*SWG: skinny white girl, ie, light in the bottom

-CB- said:
RLW said:

Beautiful guitar.

Actually, I'd rather see a P94 up there... the Phats are a little SWG * for my tastes.  The P94 has more meaty tone.

But I do like it!

*SWG: skinny white girl, ie, light in the bottom

:laughing7: :laughing7:
I took me a while to spot the definition.

Cheers CB, we'll see about the skinny bottom, I had the P-90 wound with an alnico V magnet and a little brighter. I just want it to cut through. In the middle position with the Warpig it should be an absolute beast. Fingers crossed.  :glasses9:

My apologies, didn't see it was MQ.  I thought, from looking, it was a Duncan Phat Cat.

Just for what its worth - you never really get the smooth heavy bottom out of any of the hb sized single coils.  They are, really not much different that a Strat pickup, with under coil magnet and iron poles... and to keep the impedance up, one must go with a tall coil, as there's only so much room on the left and right sides to work with.  The P90 and Jazzmaster tones come from that low wide coil.  Thin in depth, but wider.  Has a distinctive change in tone.  In radio land, the old timers would know to choose a tall narrow coil or low fat one, based on the Q they were looking for.  Same impedance, same inductance, but behaves differently in the circuit.... the same applies to pickup coils.

Thats the Ron Jeremy pickup.........

Tall and wide does not apply because to make it the impedance would be incorrect, opposite of short and thin.

i know that, but all i here is tall and skinny, and short and fat, and i always wonder what about tall and fat

the neck arrived today....

holy shit!

Its so GOOD.

Bubinga with black ebony and MOP '59 profile.

I'm at work so no photos, but wow.... i'm very pleased.

CIMG2668.jpg

Here it is all done. And boy its good.

I will need to get it set up to fine tune but its perfecly playable crudely bolted together by me!

Specs

Showcase mahogany SG body with flame maple top and black-red-yellow burst
Bubinga neck with jet black ebony board ('59 LP profile)
Fender scale length 25.5
Stainless Steel frets 6105
MOP Inlays
Planet waves tuners
All black Gotoh hardware

Electronics:
CTS 500k pots
Mallory caps
Bare Knuckle Pickups Mississippi Queen neck (AlnicoV 6k DC) / Warpig Bridge (AlnicoV 20k DC)

Its a beast!

Warmoth were excellent help and Simon D on this board was particularly helpful in making me decide on the fine details.

I am very pleased and quite proud of my efforts.   :cool01: 

CIMG2675.jpg

CIMG2676.jpg

CIMG2682.jpg

Back