My SG build (Completed w/pics)

Whoa, man, you better move that thing away from the Gibsons,  I think they are getting jealous!!!  Seriously that is a great SG, and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.  :icon_thumright:

I am very happy with it. And it sounds exactly like I wanted.

The fleur de lis (yes you got the spelling right V.A.), was a chance find in a UK store called Accessorize (womens' jewellery). It was a badge and I simply removed the pin, straightened it and glued on the truss rod cover - althogh the glue has reacted with the plastic

However, one thing I didn't consider in my novice ways, was the weight of the built instrumend  :doh:. Its very heavy and in hindsight I should have looked at that. I might have to play this one sitting down!!!

Cheers Vic. I dig BKP's too! I have them in all my axes now.

Nonsensetele - yes its really heavy. Same as quite a heavy LP. But it sounds great though which is the main thing, unlike my old Gibson which was heavy and sounded crap, even with a pickup upgrade. That guitar really pissed me off so I sold it and made a bit of money on it just because it was a Gibson!

Congratulations Ted!

You have one awesome SG there, i really like the combination of woods and parts!  :kewlpics:

How is the bubinga neck sound-wise on the guitar?
I only have experience with my all bubinga bass, and that has one throaty sound.. :)

And i second NonsenseTele, please speak about the BKP Pickups!

I have a Nailbomb Humbucker in the aged nickel variety right here on my desktop, but am still waiting for my warmoth parts..  :icon_tongue:

Yes! I didn't find a good sound clip with the WarPig, like those recorded by Tim, that's why my doubt about it... ( to make things clear: the good is about record quality, not about playing in deed :))
The Nailbomb sound clip by Tim is AMAZING! Huge tone, very clear and bright but still with some nice bass response... well I like it :D This is my search: a huge bass punchy with treble definition...
Now I'm thinking about a Pig90 and the P92...

shagga said:
Congratulations Ted!

You have one awesome SG there, i really like the combination of woods and parts!   :kewlpics:

How is the bubinga neck sound-wise on the guitar?
I only have experience with my all bubinga bass, and that has one throaty sound.. :)

And i second NonsenseTele, please speak about the BKP Pickups!

I have a Nailbomb Humbucker in the aged nickel variety right here on my desktop, but am still waiting for my warmoth parts..  :icon_tongue:

Cheers shagga, well the Warpig has a huge bottom end and sounds very saturated. Its a beast through a dirty amp. Have you guys heard of Down? The pickup sounds exactly like the rythm sound of Pepper J Keenan and Kirk Windstein. And my solo tone is a P90

The pickup is alnico V so its not clinical and as tight as ceramic pickups like say Miracle Man - which I also have in my flying V. Its very warm and organic but also tight and aggresive. I have JUST taken it to my tech for a set up and cannot record anything to post here, but will do as soon as I get it back.

Bubbinga seems to complement the rest really well, Mahogany gives it the fat tone, bubbinga punchy midrange and ebony board adds a few highs, thats what the Warmoth boys said anyway and it works amazingly well.

Nonsense Tele - how about some Mississippi Queens? They are beefy, but quite aggresive.  :sign13:

Ted said:
Nonsense Tele - how about some Mississippi Queens? They are beefy, but quite aggresive.  :sign13:

It's the same, I've never listened to a good record in a sound clip... It's a P91 in a humbucker size, if I remember correctly...
I'm searching for a pick up that I can play classic rock but yet some hard rock, etc. Nothing like the Warpig/Nailbomb, but nothing like a Strat sound...  :icon_biggrin: will search again for the MQ sound clips!

Nonsense tele. If you want to look into Bare Knuckle pickups then I would recommend the Mule Humbucker for the bridge and Mississippi Queen for the neck. The Mule is an overwound PAF basically, but still quite vintage toned and is extremely versatile. Don't expect to be pulling off pinch harmonics easily, but its classic rock heaven. Its a well balanced pickup and WILL easily do hard rock too. MQ in the neck is just a wonderful solo tone (IMO).

Cheers JR.

Nonsensetele - check this one out, http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=nre-ddVAsaQ

I saw it! I'm in the Bare Knuckle Forum too! My nick there is my true name: FernandoEsteves  :)
Don't know exactly why, but nowadays I'm thinking in Les Paul 'Junior (EDIT)'... like only 1 pickup...
Should be: one P92, one Pig90, one Rebel Yell, one (or two) Nailbombs, Mules  :icon_biggrin:
Tim should record samples of all the pickup line, because it's normal listen to some ones, but there another that don't have ANY sample in the forum...
Ted, make a sample of your guitar!  :toothy12:

Oh man if I was building a one pickup guitar it would have to be a Mississippi Queen. I just love that Lesley West tone.

I will record something once my axe is back from the tech.

Back