My partcaster tele (old build but was my first)

new-killer-star

Here's my first build, it's about 10 years old now and the guitar I pick up every day to play, my kids started calling it 'Frank' at some point and I went with it.

The neck is a warmoth unfinished rosewood neck w / ebony fretboard and stainless steel frets. It has always played and felt great, I had sanded it down to about 600 grit when I got it, but once I buffed it out with 2000 grit it became amazing. Folks that have played it always comment on how nice the neck is to play. I'm also super pleased with how the frets have aged, I bought a Taylor 914 at about the same time and it has similar hours on it, the Taylor needed fretwork a couple years ago, and this one still hasn't.

The body was 3 piece mahogany from ebay, I think I spent $55 on it. In all honesty, the routing work wasn't great and I did a pretty poor job on the finish work on it. There's about 5 - 8 coats of stain, I was trying to match the neck but in low traffic parts of the body it still isn't that smooth.

Originally I had this wired with an on board pre-amp, but I pulled that out now it has a gfs lipstick humbucker in the neck and a rio grande bbq in the bridge, wired to  a warmoth pickguard with simple 2 volume / 2 tone controls.

I had originally intended to put a middle pickup in as well and maybe get a new pickguard with the holes drilled straight, but it is just black tape and I'm kind of partial to it as-is.

accIn9u.jpg

nACFzdQ.jpg

FSmHGdu.jpg

I also managed to save a couple of pics of the unfinished body:

U5dH57B.jpg

3GS1y8B.jpg

Back