my new warmoth - super strat

r750mrk said:
I prefer the mid-low output PU but I read that alcino 2 are dark

Alnico 2's aren't dark, they have a "squishy" feel to them... not "hard" like Alnico 5.

For ex., SD Seth Lovers are vintage output, with a chimey top and squishy bottom... they also compress nicely.

I checked them on SD internet web site... they are recommended for bright guitars, mine is really dark
I read they are not wax poted so they will not work well with my JCM900
so Im a bit confused...
the JAZZ\JB combo is recommended for warm guitars
but I dont know if high output PUPs will be sutible for the music I play
I have a JACKSON PC1 with dimarzio and I love the sound, not very vintage but very versatile.
so maybe the JAZZ\JB combo is the right option for me .....??

In my first build I put a Jazz in the neck, a Pearly Gates in the Bridge and a Dimarzio Area 58 in the middle.  It is amazing.  The Pearly Gates has just enough balls, but not too much, it's a very PAF-y sound, bright and clear but not too bright (Although I have it in a hollow mahogany strat/ mahogany neck).  I use a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix systems Fuzz with the fuzz maxed, and the every note rings through clear and distinct, but rawnchy too.  The Jazz is amazing clean as well as overdriven.  I highly reccommend this combination.  There are so many usable tones, both clean and distorted.  and I get the straty sounds too, when I want.

thanks for the info I think I will try this combination of HB
what about the volume of the area 58 in the mid ?
is it loud enough to match the volume of the HB's?

Yes, the area 58 works perfect with the humbuckers- neither the jazz or pearly gates are high output, balances great.  and the 58 is clear as a bell, great sounding with some tube breakup od.  but the 58 has that single coil tab, so I dont think it would fit in the emg single coil space unless you routed it.  Also, the 58 sounds amazing when used with the full humbucker jazz, or with the jazz split (this is an almost acoustic clean tone- one of my newest favorite tones, nice and smooth, but emotive and expressive), i have mine wired up to have both choices.  the 58 clean (in the mid position) is really bright, a bit bright for me to use totally clean, but with a bit of tube od, it sounds very vintage strat.

thank you very much for your help...
one last question
can I find an area 58 without that single coil tab?
if not is there any thing by SD that fits into an emg single coil that you think will be a good match ?

unfortunately i dont think they make one without the tab.  I've never used singles without the tab so I'm no help in what else would work.  maybe someone else knows ?

r750mrk said:
I checked them on SD internet web site... they are recommended for bright guitars, mine is really dark
I read they are not wax poted so they will not work well with my JCM900

Yes - JCM900 with those will prolly getcha lots o' squeal if you're doing the hi-gain thing (but rock, blues and funk don't do hi-gain...).

You've got a (base) mahogany body with an ebony fretboard (PAFs + that combo = schweet).  I know you say your guitar is really dark, but
how much of that can be attributed to those EMGs?

And of course, there are other pups with similar specs that *are* wax-potted.

I don't like the EMG's, they have a uniqe sound, maybe good for metal.
I had this set in a standard strat before and I just fill they don't have the livliness of passive pU.
so I'm getting rid of it.
I think I will go for the pearly gates on the bridge and a jazz on the neck.
in the mid I'm thinking stack plus
becouse it can fit in an EMG single coil space.

I am courntly a lead guitar player in a cover band.
we play song's by jamiroquai,  pink floyd, sade, joe cocker and many more.
I don't play metal at all, but I do love hard rock nusic.
Im thinking of ordering dimarzio humbucker from hell for the neck and paf pro for the bridge.
I changed my mind from SD to dimarzio becouse I have more experience with dimarzio.
I have another guitar with dimarzio and I love the sound of it.
Im not sure about the middle yet, maybe a lace sensor silver ?
I want somthing that can fit in an emg space and has a classic strat sound.

Yeah EMGs don't do to well with stuff like Jamirquai, but they are great for hard rock to metal. I currently have a SD Invader, and I love it but it can be limiting. The only good part is if I want to play clean I use my neck pickup

I finally orderd new pup's, I found a great deal on SD pup's
eventually I orderd a TB4 for bridge, SSL5 for mid and JAZZ for neck.
hope I'll like them.

Back