My Latest thing

mayfly

Epic Member
So, I've been on the lookout for a paisley telecaster for about a year.  A few bodies on ebay have come and gone, but nothing that I wanted to pay the asking price for. 

Now, if you spend any time lurking around the various tele forums, you'll find that the paper used for the original paisley teles was/is pretty rare.  Not even fender has gotten it right on the re-issues.  Dave Crook actually hired a graphic artist to re-create the pink paisley paper (and several other colours to boot, famously used by that Brad Paisley guy) for his guitars. http://www.crookcustomguitars.com/ I sent him an email politely asking for some of that paper - no reply  :laughing7:

I spent some time checking out wall paper stores, and found nothing inspiring.  Also spent some time on the internet - most of the patterns or colours are just not suitable. 

Then I just happened to be in a stationary store one day and found a roll of this stuff:

n527102111_2117318_8329.jpg

This is ordinary wrapping paper.  Just two tones, but the gold is very metalic.

For fun, I cut out a slice, stuck it to a chunk o' wood using some tightbond III, and brushed on some Deft.  Here's the result:

n527102111_2117319_8792.jpg

So!

The ink didn't run in fear of the acetone, and it's stuck on there pretty good.  Looks pretty good too!
I think we have a possibility here!

Some questions for you all:

1 - what should the edge colour be for this?  Green or Gold?
2 - what about the hardware/neck colour?
3 - aaaand  - any advice on how to take it from here?

1) Green, for shure...

2) Hardware will look good on Gold, perhaps with nickel too... Neck could be all maple or all rosewood :)

3) hummmm chainsaw? :laughing7:

I know that Fender used self stick wall paper for it's original paisley ...

The edge should be Green since it looks like the gold paisleys are embossed on top
The hardware could be silver or gold, though I think silver would look good

I think a Canary fingerboard would be really cool, maybe with a flame maple neck that has been tung oiled for antique furniture mojo.  As far as the hardware, a parchment pick guard if you go that way, and gold hardware.  I think that the gold planet waves tuners with the black posts might be a nice contrast.  It would be kinda fun to have the gold tele bridge with black screws for intonation for more of that contrast idea. The green, gold, and black would work, with a little mild red from the finger board.
Patrick

I think that will look frickin' cool. The temptation would be to go gold hardware and that may work - but I wouldn't do it. But then again I'd never use gold hardware on anything, so... :laughing7:

I think it will need cream binding though too. Unless you're thinking a green burst over.

+1
Though I'd contemplate a satine fretboard. Red/green/yellow (gold) always gets along splendidly.  :toothy12:

Red would make it start to look a lot like Christmas though.  :laughing7:

I'm thinking Forest Green binding, all canary neck, and brushed silver hardware.

My vote is the exact same color green for the sides

I loved those paisley fenders.  I had a magazine with a bunch of vintage guitars and one of them was a paisley tele, I think it was pink?  Been a long time.  That will be a really nice guitar when it's done I can't wait to see the progress, keep us posted with work in progress pics on this one,,,,,,,,,

And as good as gold hardware, I cannot recommend it, I have never had good luck with gold, it always pits peels and looks shoddy after a short time with me.  My sweat must do funny stuff with the gold, so I go with chrome.  If your body chemistry doesn't make the gold do any funny business, go with that. (even though that totally contradicts what I just said...)

Ok, my $.02  better be gettin some advice next time I need it or I'll have to invoice you for the pennies.......

That's pretty cool, what do you mean by edge color mayfly? You mean like to cover up the edge of the paper? Cause what I would have envisioned would be like a cream or black binding, black hardware. That would really make the paisley stand out..  And don't forget the "FLoyd:... :toothy12:

DangerousR6 said:
That's pretty cool, what do you mean by edge color mayfly? You mean like to cover up the edge of the paper? Cause what I would have envisioned would be like a cream or black binding, black hardware. That would really make the paisley stand out..   And don't forget the "FLoyd:... :toothy12:

you need help man :laughing8:

I think what he means is the edge of the guitar body itself - since the front and back would have the paisley color. The ones I've seen do a burst over from the sides.

GoDrex said:
DangerousR6 said:
That's pretty cool, what do you mean by edge color mayfly? You mean like to cover up the edge of the paper? Cause what I would have envisioned would be like a cream or black binding, black hardware. That would really make the paisley stand out..   And don't forget the "FLoyd:... :toothy12:

I think what he means is the edge of the guitar body itself - since the front and back would have the paisley color. The ones I've seen do a burst over from the sides.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about - what side burst color.

yea I won't forget the Floyd... won't forget to not get one  :eek:ccasion14:

GoDrex said:
DangerousR6 said:

:laughing7:

mayfly said:
GoDrex said:
DangerousR6 said:

Yep, that's what I'm talking about - what side burst color.

yea I won't forget the Floyd... won't forget to not get one  :eek:ccasion14:
Don't be Skeered of the "FLOYD"... you're just affraid if you tried it you'd like it but would be to ashamed to admit it... :icon_biggrin:

And no burst over, to me in this sitchu that's like trying to cover up something that went wrong. I'm telling you man, blk or cream binding would look so frickin' kewl.... :headbang1:

Back