My first Warmoth Project -- Strat

DocNrock

Master Member
Here is the first completed specimen.  It is a showcase alder body with a quartersawn maple neck and ebony fingerboard, with Schaller mini locking tuners.  The pups are Seymours..Cool, Vintage, and Hot Rails, neck to bridge respectively.  OFR.  CTS pots, CRL switch, RS cap, and Planet Waves jack.  Neck plate courtesy of DangerousR6.

head.jpg

headback.jpg

closebody.jpg

body.jpg

keystone.jpg

done.jpg

I hope you like it as much as I do.

:rock-on:

Very nice build!  Now that unveiled the finished product, you've definitely got me reconsidering my stance on gold hw :rock-on:

After adjusting the neck and setting the action, I sat down for a bit longer jam session.  I am blown away at the quality of Warmoth products.  I own a Jackson USA Soloist, a Les Paul Studio, and an Ibanez JS1000.  This Warmoth Strat is quite possibly the most articulate and expressive instrument I own, and possibly have ever played.  The only thing I have a hard time getting out of this axe are pinch harmonics, but I'm thinking that is a function of the pups, not the build.  Everything else, splendid!

No need for a fret job or any professional set-up.  The intonation sounds pretty close to perfect.  I'll check it and if I can't do it myself, I'll take it in to a tech.  Otherwise, a D chord centered at the 12th fret (0/14/15/14) sounds pretty sweet and in tune to me.

DocNrock said:
After adjusting the neck and setting the action, I sat down for a bit longer jam session.  I am blown away at the quality of Warmoth products.  I own a Jackson USA Soloist, a Les Paul Studio, and an Ibanez JS1000.  This Warmoth Strat is quite possibly the most articulate and expressive instrument I own, and possibly have ever played.  The only thing I have a hard time getting out of this axe are pinch harmonics, but I'm thinking that is a function of the pups, not the build.  Everything else, splendid!

No need for a fret job or any professional set-up.  The intonation sounds pretty close to perfect.  I'll check it and if I can't do it myself, I'll take it in to a tech.  Otherwise, a D chord centered at the 12th fret (0/14/15/14) sounds pretty sweet and in tune to me.
The pup does have a bit to do with the pinch harmonic, I have a Duncan Invader in mine. One: it loves to be d-tuned, two: pinch harmonics are like butta....
I too had no problem with the set up on my VW build, and the action a bazillion times better than my EB EVH sig. Just had to tweek the truss rod a bit and it was spot on, whith not nary a buzz or dead spot....Same with the vintage neck I put on my Strat-o-coustic, like clockwork... :icon_thumright:

OK, I just played it side by side with my other "top shelf" axes.  I'm still blown away by the quality, by my USA Jackson still has it beat for playability; the tone is no better, however.  My Warmoth Strat definitely plays as well or better than my other top shelf guitars.

DocNrock said:
OK, I just played it side by side with my other "top shelf" axes.  I'm still blown away by the quality, by my USA Jackson still has it beat for playability; the tone is no better, however.  My Warmoth Strat definitely plays as well or better than my other top shelf guitars.
:icon_thumright:........ :party07:

Just did the "poor man's" check for intonation.  The harmonic at the 12th equals the open string on all 6 strings.  I think this baby is done.

DocNrock said:
Just did the "poor man's" check for intonation.  The harmonic at the 12th equals the open string on all 6 strings.  I think this baby is done.
Next project please......... :toothy10::

DangerousR6 said:
DocNrock said:
Next project please......... :toothy10::

Just waiting on the neck..

Back