My first Warmoth order - any advice?

Jacob93

Hello all!

I'm looking at my very first custom warmoth made - body and neck.

It's based off the Jim Root Jazzmaster - but with a bit more tonal options.

I've included the specs down below for what I've put through, but I've not clicked the order button yet as I've heard that any late changes can push the wait time right back.

Any advice would be received really gratefully as it's my first time spec-ing a guitar myself so I might have missed something pretty obvious🤦‍♂️

Unfinished Body

Model: JAZZMASTER®
Scale: 25-1/2 IN.
Right/Left: RIGHT HANDED$0.00
Wood:
Core: MAHOGANY$210.00
Control Cavity: REAR ROUT$20.00
Pickup Rout: HUMBUCKER - NONE - HUMBUCKER (BRDG)$0.00
Control Rout:$0.00
VOLUME (JAZZMASTER®)
TONE 1 (JAZZMASTER®)
5 WAY SWITCH (JAZZMASTER®)
Bridge Type: HARDTAIL$0.00
Bridge Rout: FENDER® AMERICAN STANDARD FLAT MOUNT$0.00
Jack Rout: 7/8" (22MM) SIDE JACK HOLE$0.00
Neck Pocket: STRAT® SHAPE$0.00
Mounting Holes: STANDARD 4 BOLT$0.00
Contours:
FOREARM CONTOUR$0.00
TUMMY CUT

Finished Neck

Style: CBS Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Scale: 25-1/2 in.
Neck Wood:$212.00 USD
Shaft Wood: Maple
Fretboard Wood: Ebony
Right/Left: Right Handed+ $0.00
Nut Width: 1-11/16"+ $0.00
Neck Profile: Standard thin+ $0.00
Radius: 10-16" compound+ $0.00
# of Frets: 22+ $0.00
Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)+ $70.00
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")+ $0.00
Inlays:+ $90.00
Inlays: White Pearloid Blocks
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut+ $32.00
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt+ $0.00
Finish: Clear Satin Nitro+ $75.00
Binding: Cream

Thanks in advance!

ragamuffin said:
Looks good to me! How do you plan to finish the body?

I have a guitar tech I use who's refinished a few of my guitars previously so he's going to apply a nitro 'aged silverburst' finish.

The only things I'm unsure of is the jack input size (I'm not sure what the differences are), whether or not to have chrome or black hardware and whether or not to have a contoured heel.

I've heard that having a contoured heel may effect the placement of the pre drilled holes that align with the back of the  neck - is that correct?

I also just wanted to check - the battery box option - does that come with the box that clips in to the body?

I'm intending to make the guitar active so I could use the battery box option, however considering the size of the back rout I could potentially put a makeshift battery box in there.

Jacob93 said:
I've heard that having a contoured heel may effect the placement of the pre drilled holes that align with the back of the  neck - is that correct?

That was one of the first questions I called to ask after I placed my order, AND I have an angled neck pocket to accommodate the top mount Floyd, and they said that even with those TWO angles, it’s not enough to cause any issues with mounting the neck.

The 7/8" jack hole you've selected is generally preferred around here - it gives enough room for the socket and will work with square/rectangular and 'football' oval plates.

The battery box route is just the route - the box is a separate purchase (that Warmoth don't have in stock right now - be careful with the sizing if you source one elsewhere). The box screws in.

I can't see any problems with your specs. Enjoy the build and post pics!

ChrisMC said:
Jacob93 said:

That was one of the first questions I called to ask after I placed my order, AND I have an angled neck pocket to accommodate the top mount Floyd, and they said that even with those TWO angles, it’s not enough to cause any issues with mounting the neck.

That's great to know, thanks for that - I'll absolutely be amending my order to have a contoured heel too!

Fat Pete said:
The 7/8" jack hole you've selected is generally preferred around here - it gives enough room for the socket and will work with square/rectangular and 'football' oval plates.

The battery box route is just the route - the box is a separate purchase (that Warmoth don't have in stock right now - be careful with the sizing if you source one elsewhere). The box screws in.

I can't see any problems with your specs. Enjoy the build and post pics!

Thanks for this - really helpful. I'm going to give the battery box a miss and fix the fishman USB pack in the route I think.

I'm based in the UK so will take a long time to arrive but I'll definitely post pictures! I'm tempted to amend the neck to baked maple instead of maple but I probably just have too many options to choose from😂

The ivoroid and the cream bindings are very close in images, but different in person.  The cream binding is much more "cream" than the ivoroid.  But that could just be my opinion.  Personal preference of course, but choose wisely.

Jacob93 said:
I'm tempted to amend the neck to baked maple instead of maple but I probably just have too many options to choose from😂

Roasted maple = no finish = aMAZing. I ordered roasted flame maple, because of the feel of no finish. Bare wood just feels too good to pass up. Of course, you ‘can’ finish roasted maple, I’m just not sure why one would want to.

ChrisMC said:
Jacob93 said:
I'm tempted to amend the neck to baked maple instead of maple but I probably just have too many options to choose from😂

Roasted maple = no finish = aMAZing. I ordered roasted flame maple, because of the feel of no finish. Bare wood just feels too good to pass up. Of course, you ‘can’ finish roasted maple, I’m just not sure why one would want to.

Interesting - I read that you had to finish the neck because they wouldn't be suitable for long term playability. I prefer the feel of satin/untreated wood. I've put the clear satin nitro finish down on the back of the neck out of necessity, however that doesn't have to be the case, is that right?

Jacob93 said:
I'm based in the UK so will take a long time to arrive but I'll definitely post pictures! I'm tempted to amend the neck to baked maple instead of maple but I probably just have too many options to choose from😂

Depends on the shipping you choose, UPS was here (U.K.) in 2 days for my body. USPS took about 2 weeks for my neck and I still got stung for customs. I made a change to my order and it basically “reset” the timescale, if you’re quick about it you won’t have to pay the restocking fees

Jacob93 said:
ChrisMC said:
Jacob93 said:

Interesting - I read that you had to finish the neck because they wouldn't be suitable for long term playability. I prefer the feel of satin/untreated wood.

This is true for good-old-regular maple.  But Roasted Maple does not require a finish.  I've got two guitars with roasted maple necks and they are the cats ass.

Mayfly said:
Jacob93 said:
ChrisMC said:
Jacob93 said:

Interesting - I read that you had to finish the neck because they wouldn't be suitable for long term playability. I prefer the feel of satin/untreated wood.

This is true for good-old-regular maple.  But Roasted Maple does not require a finish.  I've got two guitars with roasted maple necks and they are the cats ass.

That's perfect - roasted maple it is!

Just to check - with the specs for the neck above, would it be possible to have a straight swap for the neck on a jim root jazzmaster?

Back