My first Warmoth - Another black Strat

DesmoDog

I've wanted a black Strat pretty much forever. A couple months ago I finally decided it was time to learn to play, but instead of buying a Strat I bought a hollow-body Ibanez. Hollow body guitars are my other objects of guitar lust... I really wanted a Gretsch but didn't think it was wise to spend so much on my first guitar. Anyway, on the drive home I was already thinking that in about a year I should buy a black Strat.

Then I saw this on the Warmoth site and my timetable got pushed up.  :toothy11:

It just showed up today, I've got zero other parts for it, so it'll be a while before I start a build thread on it.

Warmoth_2167.jpg

Warmoth_2172.jpg

I was going to ask if anyone remembers seeing it in the showcase, and  how long it had been there. But it looks like they put the build date on them? Between the neck pocket and the sticker on the body, I'm guessing it was made around on March 12, 2010?

Warmoth_2177.jpg

Warmoth_2184.jpg

And what the heck does that say under the black dye/ transparent black note in the pickup rout? Black edger?

Whatever. Like I said, I've always wanted a black Strat, and I'm going to end up with something similar a lot sooner than expected! Though I have to admit.. I still want a "real" Fender Strat...

The plan for it is:
Nickle hardware - avoid chrome as much as possible
Fender Fat 50's pickups
Callaham trem
Warmoth neck TBD
Tuners TBD but I want staggered ones to avoid using string trees
Pickguard color TBD. I already ordered a black pearl one but am thinking maybe white pearl would look better? The stupid side of my likes the leopard and red tortoise covers at GFS but they're a bit over the top...
250k pots with ~.050 cap on the tone pots and a treble bleed cap on the volume

I think that's about it????

And now if you'll excuse me, I think I have to go choose a neck for it. Screw this month to month budget crap, I've got a perfectly good credit card that's barely being used!

That looks absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see how it turns out  :toothy10:

Best of luck with the build and can't wait to see more!  :headbang1:

D'oh!

I forgot I had some fingerboard blanks I was going to maybe use! I've instead decided to order something out of the showcase on this build, but I set a couple pieces down to get a feel for colors. I think either a rosewood with dark stripes or an ebony with brown streaks would look good... but I want something more dramatic than what I have here.

Warmoth_2193.jpg

Warmoth_2196.jpg

Warmoth_2199.jpg

Warmoth_2198.jpg

I had forgotten how many of these I got when I cleaned out my dad's shop. This wasn't event 1/4 of what he had, the rest of it, along with some neck blanks (for banjos) and other materials/tools/supplies went to some local banjo(?) builder for what I'm guessing was a stupidly low price...

Warmoth_2201.jpg

DesmoDog said:
And what the heck does that say under the black dye/ transparent black note in the pickup rout? Black edger?

And now if you'll excuse me, I think I have to go choose a neck for it. Screw this month to month budget crap, I've got a perfectly good credit card that's barely being used!

Nice body! That's gonna look sweet! I've always like black bodies, too. Best Fender Strat I ever had was black.

I think it says "Black edges" under the "black dye/ transparent black" note. Makes sense when you look at the body, what with the black edges and all <grin>

I agree, the credit card deserves to be let out for some exercise if it doesn't get used much. Get yourself a bloodwood neck with an ebony fingerboard, along with a pile o' hardware, and call it a love story. When the bill comes, you can play some blues <grin>

Cagey said:
I think it says "Black edges" under the "black dye/ transparent black" note. Makes sense when you look at the body, what with the black edges and all <grin>

well, I suppose that kind of makes sense... in an obvous sort of way...  :doh:

Or, even all Padouk. They're pretty reasonable. This one's a Tele, but you get the idea. That would look excellent over a black body, and would feel great, too.

tn2507A.jpg

Marko said:
Nando, Cagey, Sssssssssshhht  :icon_jokercolor:

Shhh nothing, Ive been saying you to do so for more than a year... Sell your son if you're out of money :laughing7:

Black Dye/Trans Black N.M. (natural masking)
Black Edges

you've got a beauty of a body, this coming from the owner of a black strat.

Beautiful strat there Desmo, and I believe I still have a nickel neck plate if you decide you'd like a custom plate made...

For the fretboards, I'm kinda partial to ziricote, usually nothing more dramatic than that. But pau is cool sometimes and canary too.... :headbang:

Canary
FB230a.jpg

ziricote
FB248a.jpg

pau ferro
FB552a.jpg

The problem with Padouk is that it gets brown with the time...
You can find some bloddy red Bloodwood and it keeps the color thru the time...

NonsenseTele said:
The problem with Padouk is that it gets brown with the time...
You can find some bloddy red Bloodwood and it keeps the color thru the time...
I think Doc had a satin finish put on his to keep it from browning...

DangerousR6 said:
Beautiful strat there Desmo, and I believe I still have a nickel neck plate if you decide you'd like a custom plate made...

Absolutely, I'll PM you.

As for necks, my initial thought was a maple neck with a dark fingerboard, but then I started thining to myself "Self, if you still plan on buying a Fender Strat, it will have a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Why repeat?"

So then I started going a different route.

I'm kinda thinking this one actually...

SN8111A.jpg

I tried photochopping it together but it's not working well... I can do it so _I_ can see it , but I can't save it...

There are a couple other choices too but I thikn this with the silver hardware could look bitchin... Wenge with an Ebony fingerboard...

Back