My first build comes together

Dietrich

Hello,

You may have first met me here, http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3585.msg37918#msg37918 when I expressed surprise that Warmoth wouldn't/couldn't actually build and deliver a complete axe.  I ended up doing a Warmoth build, and here are some pics:

(pay no attention to the trashed living room.  our 8-month-old skipped crawling and just up and started walking the other day, we we've had to danger-fast move everything up to  higher ground)
img2116go5.jpg

img2117cf8.jpg

img2119mf0.jpg

Pretty run-of-the-mill for Warmoth, from what I've read--hollowed/heel-cut Quilt Maple / Alder body, burst finish, qtr-sawn maple neck w/ ebony fretboard.  I'm using a Wilkenson vibrato with that and the tuning machines having the satin finish, which I think is elegant as hell.

Build was uneventful, except the fact that I did such a good job of forgetting that I had a guitar on the way that I forgot to order my pickups from Chris Kinman, so I'll be waiting a few more days on those.  In the meantime, I pulled some other Kinmans out of my box with some pots and other various screws and washers and temp. rigged something (this is the reason for the random gold screws you see in the photos) I could play for the next week or so until the Kinmans that are slated for this guitar arrive.  Neck took a nice firm squeeze to get it in the pocket, but once there, it seemed as though I could pull strings up to concert pitch and play the thing w/o neck screws.  As it happens, I did screw down the neck, wired up a pickguard, applied strings, raised the action a bit, and off I was. 

Only a lefty knows the type of guitar frustration that we go through if we are cursed with knowing what we like / want.  The sad fact is that you either play it upside-down, or you choose between vanilla/chocolate/strawberry.  So, when mom and dad asked what they could give me for a graduation present, I decided to have a custom guitar made.  Little did I know I'd be doing the home-stretch of the build by myself, but I seemed to have gotten off light in the problems department, since I don't really have any.  The guitar is a real player that at this early date feels and sounds like it has potential for greatness.  This axe almost plays itself, and I've spent less than ten minutes adjusting it just so the strings would fret.  I'm pretty stoked about it, overall.  It is very light, yet feels no different than any other Strat', just lighter and more . . . . dangerous.  I almost felt weird pointing it at people, as if it was some exotic German rifle. 

If I had to criticize Warmoth, I would say 1)They should have a better response to people who ask them to build a guitar 2)Make relationships with high-end machine shops that will do one-off custom work, and point their customers to them when the need arises 3) Don't put a stupid warning sticker on the fretboard!  It's tacky enough as it is w/ the finish residue on the frets. 

Overall, I give Warmoth an A, right down to "Spike," who did a good job taking the order over the telephone.  When you run a business that deals directly with the public, you want people like "Spike" interfacing with customers. 

great looking axe man I just finished mine late last night, these things are great I'm passionately in love, but that thing looks very nice, looks like it'll put out some great tones  :rock-on:

HA! You're a leftie!!!

Kidding, I like the burst on quilt, looks classy.

I was wondering... Do left-handed guitars look as weird to lefties as they do to righties?

nah,  just looks like that's how it's supposed to be

(just realized there are no lefty emoticons)  :doh:

in FACT
i think righty guitars look wierd
so it's all just a matter of reference
:tard:

I've always played a rightie upside-down.  Some people think Strats look way cooler that way.  Used to watching Hendrix vids maybe.  It looks a little weird, yeah, but it's mega comfortable.  It's going to take some time to get used to tuning a flat string by going clockwise, as well as reaching over the headstock instead of under. 

I usually give the sinister folks here a hard time, but that's a darn pretty guitar.

And plus about a million on Spike, he's saved me from my own stupidity on a couple of occaisons. Smart, informed, and funnier than hell. He actually makes spending money pleasant.

Dietrich said:
I've always played a rightie upside-down.  Some people think Strats look way cooler that way.  Used to watching Hendrix vids maybe.  It looks a little weird, yeah, but it's mega comfortable.  It's going to take some time to get used to tuning a flat string by going clockwise, as well as reaching over the headstock instead of under. 

Dude, are you serious?  An upside-down strat comfortable?  I hit the knobs all the damn time.  I had to remove the bridge tone knob because I kept turning it while playing so now I just cut up my arm on the exposed pot if I get really aggressive with my strumming.

As for the tuning thing, I never considered the fact that the tuners would have to be turned the opposite way with an actual lefty neck.  That's going to be annoying.  haha

JamesL said:
I was wondering... Do left-handed guitars look as weird to lefties as they do to righties?

Actually, yeah.  I think lefty strats look strange, although I've stared at my tele body for so long now that I think righty teles look weird.

Mr Real Nice said:
Dietrich said:
Dude, are you serious?  An upside-down strat comfortable?  I hit the knobs all the damn time.  I had to remove the bridge tone knob because I kept turning it while playing so now I just cut up my arm on the exposed pot if I get really aggressive with my strumming.

Yeah, I boned what I was trying to say, but playing a Strat with the *correct* orientation is mega-comfortable, with the cuts and all.  Sits on the shoulder way better than the upside-down Strats.  I would rather have the control knobs up where they used to be.  Those are going the "wrong" way as well.  Having a volume pot above the bridge pickup allows for a lot more control.  I can rest a palm on the volume knob and pick while manipulating the volume.  Now I'll have to pay attention to how others do it using the pinkie. 

As for the tuning thing, I never considered the fact that the tuners would have to be turned the opposite way with an actual lefty neck.  That's going to be annoying.  haha

Yeah, it's the little things.  They actually make left-handed tuners, but as with everything else, it's vanilla/chocolate/strawberry. 

haha, that's funny you mention the volume and tone knobs being opposite, too.  I was actually considering installing the knobs in my tele project backwards so I wouldn't have to get used to turning them the other way.  I don't even know if that's possible.  If not, I may just flip the whole control plate.  I don't have any of these parts in front of me yet (the bulk of it is coming tomorrow) so I'm going to take another look at it then.  This is going to be my first real experience with a left-handed body.  I've played a few in stores and they feel really comfortable, but they're all strung lefty (obviously) so I can't really play them beyond a couple basic chords.  -- Oh wait, I take that back.  I special ordered a Brian Moore custom built in a lefty body, but strung righty about 10 years ago.  I sold it a year later.  Worst. Idea. Ever.  Still kicking myself on that one.

Back