my 1st build pbass

what do you think? (i like it)

• love it

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • hate it

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

lakland4

Swamp ash pbass body / jazz/wenge neck (just had luthier remove additional 3/64 off profile) norstrand passive pbass p/u, schaller tuners(too heavy/created neck dive) custom paint by Dave Moran
(MG BODY Cinti,Oh) it was painted to match an African cloth i spotted in art book...anyway it sounds great and aside from the neck dive, its a great player! let the smart ass comments begin.

I think it is a unique cool paint job-reminds me of dominoes. Cool build!

Looks really good, never seen a bass like that.
Are the Strings rotosound?
Just curious as my five string strings have the exact same colour material at the top of the strings.

Don't mind him.  He doesn't like anything. lol

I neither love it or hate it.  If it's you, then it works.  Great wood and hardware choices all around.  Hipshot Ultralites might alleviate some of the neck dive if it's intolerable.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I neither love it or hate it.

same! you need a "don't hate it, but don't love it" category! definitely an A+ for creativity though. reminds me of something Satriani would play.

maybe it's just the angle you took this image at, but it looks like you need to do one of the following as your strings appear to not be centered on the neck (a HUGE pet peavey of mine)

- adjust you neck in the pocket by loosening the screws and gently shifting the neck

- remove the bridge, plug the holes, and the reinstall the bridge in the proper location

the first option is definitely the easiest to perform yourself. you noted that a luthier reshaped the neck for you. if this same person also installed the neck, I'm surprised they didn't get the strings centered (unless this is simply an optical illusion due to the camera angle)

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk, pup placement looks perfect to me, the camera angle isn't directly over the bass.

line6man said:
You get points for originality, but sorry, I think it's hideous. :dontknow:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Don't mind him.  He doesn't like anything. lol

I neither love it or hate it.  If it's you, then it works.  Great wood and hardware choices all around.  Hipshot Ultralites might alleviate some of the neck dive if it's intolerable.

Not true! He likes black fretless unlined Jazz basses with raw necks, passive pickups and no logos on the headstock!

Anyways, I like it, but I'm usually up for custom paint that wasn't "customized" with a belt sander and called a relic.

AutoBat said:
SkuttleFunk, pup placement looks perfect to me, the camera angle isn't directly over the bass.

exactly - the camera angle makes it appear like the string alignment is good for the pickups but not the neck. this is what's driving me nuts when looking at this image. if it was just the camera angle, I'd suspect that the strings would be off for both the neck and pickup

without a dead-on image, we'll never know for sure

all the best,

R

i appreciate all the comments,positive & otherwise..as far as light weight tuners, i realized that was the answer a little too late,and yes the strings are centered (camera angle) yes i have it strung w/ rotos (only because i have s/s frets) i've noticed they really eat up the frets on my fender jazz...ps. i only created this poll due to i am technically illiterate and was the only way i could figure out a way to post my pics...thanks all

lakland4 said:
yes i have it strung w/ rotos (only because i have s/s frets) i've noticed they really eat up the frets on my fender jazz...ps. i only created this poll due to i am technically illiterate and was the only way i could figure out a way to post my pics...thanks all

Sweet thought they were rotos, but ah never knew that, cheers ill keep an eye on my five string for excessive fret wear considering how much im using it now, and my tendancy to slide  :toothy10: Cheers for the heads up to a possible snag!
and a polls a poll, just fun to have another to vote on,

excellent to know you're aligned nicely and that it's just the camera angle  :icon_thumright:

I can once again sleep tonight  :glasses9:

all the best,

R

Totally diggin' it.  I'm in favor of self-created uniqueness, instead of off-the shelf "uniqueness."

Back