Music Man finish on Warmoth roasted maple necks?

Carl

Last year I built a strat with Warmoth roasted maple neck with rw fretboard and this year I am building a blackguard tele with a one piece Warmoth roasted neck.

The raw strat neck feels OK, but I prefer the feel of Music Man's oiled and waxed neck, so I am considering this Finnish for both my roasted maple neck guitars.

But do I need to or should I oil a roasted maple neck or should I just wax it without oiling it to get the same feeling I get with a Music Man neck?

Any ideas?

Carl

Musicman also does roasted maple necks. To the best of my knowledge, they use same tru-oil and wax combo as they do with normal maple.

Lots of roasted maple neck users on here have used them without a finish or "burnished them". So no you do not need to.

One or two I believe have put some tru-oil on to bring the grain out even more.

You could try a blend of tru-oil with the Birchwood Casey wax, and wipe on and almost wipe it off again to get a Musicman feel.

A personal choice at the end of the day.

Thanks for the input. I know that I don't have to do anything with the roasted necks, thanks to the roast process and I have played the strat with a rosted neck "naked" for a year. I feels OK, but I prefer the feel of my Music Man StingRay, so I thought that I would try duplicating Music Man's finish process for both my existing strat and my new tele build. But I haven't read anywhere about how to do it with a roasted neck.

OK, so I will try to first carefully oil the strat's neck gently with TruOil and then put wax on it. I have oiled various things before including my Warmoth solid rosewood neck, so I am not concerned about that part of the process. But I have never wax anything (except cars....). Any advice is welcome.

This post I did a few years ago now might be of help. I haven't tried it with a roasted neck but I cannot see the process being much different.

I built up a few more coats and it is glossier than my Music Man Morse was while I had it. But was similar to a Petrucci I tried.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg335422#msg335422

I've always wanted to like the feel of raw wood, but I'm just not that guy.  I use tru-oil on all wood species where applicable.  A light application can still maintain the raw feel, while protecting the wood from hand funk.

stratamania said:
This post I did a few years ago now might be of help. I haven't tried it with a roasted neck but I cannot see the process being much different.

I built up a few more coats and it is glossier than my Music Man Morse was while I had it. But was similar to a Petrucci I tried.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg335422#msg335422

Thanks for the link and BTW nice guitar and neck plate. ;)

I have now applied two layers of Birchwood Tru Oil to the neck of last year's strat build and now I am just letting it rest for a couple of days before I apply the Birchwood Wax.

I didn't expect the Tru Oil to enhance the look so much, but it really gives the neck a three dimensional "deep" look. :)

I am really looking forward to give the same treatment to my new Warmoth roasted maple tele neck which is shipping from Warmoth in a couple of weeks.

Post some pics when you have the time Carl. Especially a before and after of the roasted one.

I really like Truoil on wood and it works perfect on roasted maple. You can apply 4-5 thin coats and buff it down to the desired satin feel. MM applys a final coat of Truoil Wax above which adds more smootheness and protection. The wax contains silicone, dunno if that’s good news.

I‘m not sure about the rest of my neck- torn between Truoil or burnishing  :icon_scratch:

Back