Mounting a P-90 onto a pickguard

Graffiti62

Hi Everybody--

I am in the process of restoring my $60 special. When I removed the pickguard, I saw that Squier cut the body for a HSS configuration. I wanted to add a little more grunt to the electronics, but I wanted to keep with the single coil setup. I've decided to do up a P-90/S/S configuration. I want to go this way because its a different departure from the ever-so-common HSS setup.

Before I go through with purchasing the pickguard, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice in regards to mounting the darn thing to the pickguard. I have a hunch I would have to get a dog-ear mount P-90, but I'm not exactly sure on how to cover it up or what I all need to do.

If anyone who has ever mounted a 90 into a pickguard, can you offer me some advice or tips?

Thanks much!

I'd just get a HB sized P90; several of the big manu. make this, including Gibson I think.
Two issues if you don't do this: If you try to mount a dog ear P90 in the bridge position of a strat, on top of a pickguard, I don't think your strings will clear the pup cover. You could measure and see if that's in fact a probl.
Second, you'll need to route out the pickguard and the body no matter what P90s are wider than Hbs and won't drop into a HB slot.
Basically, with a $60 guitar I'd go the easy way unless you're comfortable with routing and with buying a new PG.

Another option would be just to get a "SC-sized P90" - I don't know how these actually sound, but some people make them. Rio Grande "dirty harry" is one. I think some board members have this pup.

You could always take a P90, used the mounting holes to faster a slightly longer metal strip to the bottom of it and then drill and tap holes in the metal strip so you could use conventional springs and screws to mount it in a pickguard. That's if you already own the P90 and don't want to buy a new one.

Remeber though, a P90 is wider than a Strat pickup and comes very close to the volume knob. You might have to make due with only two knobs.

You know, I just did a bit more research on the Seymour Duncan P-rails. This sounds like the PERFECT application for that pickup. Maintain the '4' strat position sound, get a powerful HB in bridge pos., and have a P90 there too, and fit it all in a HB route.

I've heard that the P-rails doesn't nail the p90 sound very well. I don't remember, but I think I've also heard it doesn't quite get the HB sound.

Max said:
I've heard that the P-rails doesn't nail the p90 sound very well. I don't remember, but I think I've also heard it doesn't quite get the HB sound.

I've heard the same, actually.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4590.0
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4329.0

Back