Mostly Tele build, need some help.

Magicbisket

From the look what I won thread, got the body, attempting to bolt on the neck but having issues. The neck runs just slightly crooked. If it's not going to be a problem then I can work with it, but If it is, then I need to know how to fix it.

Making lining up the bridge a bitch.

-D.T. Latty

I had this problem with a non-Warmoth body I finished.  I had both of the problems listed below.

I'd start by checking to see whether there's any finish or filler or other gunk in the neck pocket that's keeping the neck from seating correctly.  Clean that crap out, if present.

Then check the holes through the body for the neck screws to see if they aren't too tight and perhaps offset slightly.  You can drill the neck holes a little larger.  Note that the threads of the screw are not supposed to bite into the body wood.  Once you enlarge the body holes slightly, you should have a little play in the joint to swivel the neck a little bit. This will allow you to seat it "straight."

Good luck.

The body holes require the neck screws to be to be screwed in, much too tight. I'll try reaming them out and see if that allows me to seat it properly. Thanks Baggy!

-D.T. Latty

Bagman's right, and you shouldn't have to thread them through the body at all. Those are supposed to be clearance holes. They can be larger than usual, too, since the neck plate will keep the screw heads from pulling through. That'll give you room to shift the neck a bit.

Sweet, because the body is gorgeous besides that little issue. Never thought I'd buy a relic anything but once I saw it's heart I was sold.

I'll work on that tomorrow. For now, Psych Paper.

If You can get both E tuners on the neck ( & if they are threaded from the front face You
don't have to drill the mounting holes) You can tie some cat gut around the low E string
tuner down to the bridge (bridge not screwed down) through the body across the back through the high E back through the bridge to the high E string tuner,(nut in place not
glued  wrap it around the tuners to get a bit of tension then move the Neck to see how things are aligning.

So I might be overthinking this. I opened up the neck holes and the neck seems pretty straight and most importantly, its flat with pocket. However I'm still not sure on how I should be lining up this bridge. I've got the low and high e strung, It appears that they have about the same space on each side of the fretboard, the string holes are all open, and although they can pass over the pole pieces, both seem slightly too inward. Is this normal. Is there one definite spot where it should be lined up? Is there some wiggle room?

Worried that when I put the pickguard and plate on, it will look horribly strange if the bridge is slightly off. Should I put them on first?

If You take 2) 3mm X 50mm (just under 1/8" X 2") steel nails they fit through the  string
through holes.
Put 1 through the A string & 1 through the B string from the rear  place the bridge on top
of the nails also mount the bridge P/U to the bridge to also check alignment with P/U
rout ,the bridge won't wiggle to much, then see how the strings (or cat gut under tension
lines up).
A bridge like the one in your  pic can have the strings spaced as suits you, just make sure
the E strings are Not falling of the edge of the neck.
Control plate, mount the pots & switches to the plate ( see if it fits the control rout)
I have come across 2 different width control plates.
Pickguard put it on the body, see if it aligns with the control plate tape the in place to see
how they look.
When things look right you can start fitting parts.
This is covered in a video by Dan Erlewine (Stewmac) "Assembling a solid body Electric
Guitar" It seem to be discontinued though on their site.
Need any more help?
Nice Body by the way.

Well I feel I have everything pretty well lined up. Gonna tape the pickguard down, not too worried about the control plate. And gonna take the bridge down for now. Mark the holes for the pickguard and bridge. Just need to make sure I can get a perfectly center hole, Gonna try making a pinpoint impression, followed by a guide hole, followed by the final drill. (For the bridge. Not too concerned about the pickguard.

I appreciate all the tips. Spacing looks about right, not too close on either side of the fretboard. Looking good. About to post a pick.

-D.T.Latty

I find these Hinge centering bits pretty foolproof the smaller sizes, vid link for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_1pbNwA_Q

That is an amazing little tool there, I cant imagine the end of uses for such a clever devise. I will probably pick one up later.

However I'm going all hand done for this project. She's a reliced body, hand repaired when I had a bit of an oh-sh!@ moment a few days ago, hand picked, hand set, hand aligned, hand drilled hand wired, hand set up.

Thought about just jabbing my finger at the marked spot until I got a hole to mount with. Tried it actually, my finger got tired.

Anyways, I'm a fan of doing things with as few amenities as possible. My work station for keeping the body level is currently an old Tevo box, for I have no flat surface. All work has been done in my bedroom because of the basement flooding.

It takes longer, but It's worth it. The finish product has just that special feel to it.

Not everything will be perfect, not every part is what I planned it to be. Even the hardware is a mix of gold and chrome to fit that certain put together feel.

Not one unit, but a combination of individual pieces, processes, time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears. All coming together and working in unison to create a single, powerful force ,of music.

-Realizing that I just cued in the national anthem to start playing-

Anyways, this will probably end up being a gift, so I'm putting my personal touch into it. Now lets just hope my personal touch doesn't sound like crap and play like an ornery snake.

-D.T. Latty

Back