Most versatile pups combo

The particular make/model of each pickup is subjective, but once you've selected them, one of the most versatile layouts is with individual on/off switches along with phase switches, with a 3 humbucker setup.  The possibilities are quite varied then.

Little OT:
do you know DC Resistance of a split JB?
Full: 16~18K (some evidences that I found online),
Split mode: I don't find anything...

Sorry for OT

:glasses10:

Bruno said:
Little OT:
do you know DC Resistance of a split JB?
Full: 16~18K (some evidences that I found online),
Split mode: I don't find anything...

Sorry for OT

:glasses10:

This is from the Seymour Duncan forum, and suggests that DC resistance per coil is equal to half the DC resistance for the entire pickup.  But that's not necessarily going to tell you anything about how the pickup will sound.  Also, it's the internet, so who knows whether it's accurate  - but the source seems reasonably likely to give a decent answer if you go digging.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39236

I just happen to have a naked JB sitting here...

One coil measures 8.1K, the other 8.25K.

Cagey said:
I just happen to have a naked JB sitting here...

One coil measures 8.1K, the other 8.25K.

I can't imagine how you got Jeff Beck naked at your workstation, but for crying out loud, give him a bathrobe or something!

For my next one I'm going to (just about) repeat the wiring on my #1, because it's the best I've ever found in a long time of trying.

First you have to start with a Bill Lawrence L500XL or L in the bridge, because each side of it sounds about like a good overwound Strat  or normal-wound P90, but Lawrence does something funny with the inductance so it doesn't lose top end, like a normal overwound PU. Clear as a bell, all the way up to the limits of your preamp. This pickup has to go to a five-way (or four-) splitter switch, so you can get either coil, or both in series, parallel or out-of-phase (which is useless to me, and is the one thing I'm changing - just a regular 4-way Tele blade switch will do). This PU then goes to it's own tone and volume control, then out to a 3-way. The neck PU is a single "noise-free" Lawrence, he's got a second dummy coil under the first at low power, not enough to kill it's single coil sound but enough to buck some hum. This has it's own tone and volume, then to the 3-way, though I'm thinking of dumping the tone in favor of maybe a 3-way mini switch tapping different resistors.

What this lets you do is control the combinations of the coils in any fashion, though in real use it can do most everything I want with just the series/parallel/back coil settings of the five-way and changing the volume controls. You could even build a monster with TWO L500s and a volume control for each coil - recombined to 2 tone controls, then to the three-way and out - but the research would eliminate most of the options anyway. All the above does is get you the same choices of coils as on a Strat with the middle pickup wired to cut in with the outer two, but the Strat wiring gives up some of the tone control over the bridge and center pickups, unless you add another knob.

You get your screaming humbucking lead sound, your single coil "Little Wing" sound, and your 4th-position Strat sound, with the neck PU and the back coil of the L500 combined. Plus a lot of other things. The L500 has a lot of juice so it doesn't just die with the volume on "5" like most pickups, but it stays bright too - I don't think this wiring would work with another pickup, except maybe a Lace or Alumitone or something too sterile.

I have a guitar that I had the stock humbuckers replaced with Duncan P-rails. You get a P90 single coil sound from one coil. The other side of the pickup is 1/2 of a strat size rail humbucker so it all fits in a standard humbucker footprint. It gives a decent strat sound as long as a moderate output floats your boat. Played together you get an unbalanced humbucker that has a sound all its own, pretty complex since the two coils are dissimilar. If you like P90s and aren't looking for a pickup with mega output, but prefer a lot of definition from the pickup and get distortion from your amp and pedals it really is very versatile. It takes an extra 3 way mini switch to do the coil swapping but you get 9 sounds. Plus there is space between the pickups so the magnetic field from one never interferes with the other.
Three humbuckers is a bad idea because of the interferance. Play one pickup and it never sounds quite the way it would if you only have two pickups on the guitar.

Back