Most versatile pups combo

Bruno

In your opinion, what is the most versatile pickups combo on a solid body guitar?
I have guitars with: SSS, SSH, HH and HSH but really I can't decide.
Maybe... SSH! No no, just a moment... it'is very vesatile HH too and SSS has its own vintage charm.
I really do not know  :glasses9:
And you?

p.s.:
The truth is that I always try one more reason to have other guitars.
(The G.A.S. is strong in me...)
  :icon_tongue:

I have seen this question asked before.  Just about everyone had a different idea of what was the most versatile, but one answer kept showing up more than the others.
SSH

I have all those combo's except for HSH .... Gee thanks a lot, now I need to build another guitar  :doh:

They all have there good points, as they have different sounds.
Also depends on which pickups have been used in those combo's.
My Strat SSH (In this months GOTM) has 2 x SD's with a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge ..... Boy thats got some balls !!

But at the top of my list is my Red Quilt Strat HXH with 2 X P-Rails with a GK-3 .... Very versatile guitar !!
Next would be my Black Quilt Strat HXH with 2 X Bare Knuckles ..... Very Very happy with those !!

Looking at what I have & in the process of building.
I'm probably more of a 2 X Humbucker type of guy. HXH  :icon_biggrin:

Thou my 1st Strat 'The Cigar' SSS with 3 x SD's & a GK-3 ..... Is very nice too.
I don't know .....
May-be thats why I've built different combo's on my guitars, so I have either to choose from  :toothy10:

My answer ... get at least one of each combo :icon_thumright:

I'm not sure there's an answer for that question because even if you picked a single physical layout/style, each pickup's sound can be changed pretty dramatically. For example, a Hot Rails will sound a LOT different than an Area 57, which sounds a LOT different than an old ceramic magnet single coil, yet they all fit in the same mounting space. I have three Strats here that are set up SSS, but they use different pickups so they don't sound anything like each other.

Danuda said:
I have seen this question asked before. 

I'm sorry.
My mistake.
:doh:

Just about everyone had a different idea of what was the most versatile, but one answer kept showing up more than the others.
SSH

For a long time HSS has been my favorite
:hello2:

Updown said:
I have all those combo's except for HSH .... Gee thanks a lot, now I need to build another guitar  :doh:

They all have there good points, as they have different sounds.
Also depends on which pickups have been used in those combo's.
My Strat SSH (In this months GOTM) has 2 x SD's with a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge ..... Boy thats got some balls !!

But at the top of my list is my Red Quilt Strat HXH with 2 X P-Rails with a GK-3 .... Very versatile guitar !!
Next would be my Black Quilt Strat HXH with 2 X Bare Knuckles ..... Very Very happy with those !!

Looking at what I have & in the process of building.
I'm probably more of a 2 X Humbucker type of guy. HXH  :icon_biggrin:

Thou my 1st Strat 'The Cigar' SSS with 3 x SD's & a GK-3 ..... Is very nice too.
I don't know .....
May-be thats why I've built different combo's on my guitars, so I have either to choose from  :toothy10:

My answer ... get at least one of each combo :icon_thumright:

If I try to think rationally, in reference to my experience, the choice is forced: SSH.
But lately started to bother me the middle pickup: in fact don't use it and it give me problems for picking. (I keep it flush to the body or pickguard)

So... I'm thinking about 2 new combo: SxH or SxS.
:p

Bruno said:
p.s.:
The truth is that I always try one more reason to have other guitars.
(The G.A.S. is strong in me...)
  :icon_tongue:

exactly, don't get one guitar that can do everything, just get one for each, or you will run out of reasons!!

I had this great plan for a guitar with a S/S/splittable H, sustainer and Piezo, but I rather have 3 guitars instead now :)

(I think there was a guy here once that made one with a sustainer, piezo, midi, roland and variax)

MidiRose's monster build on the old board was like that.  It was like a Matt Bellamy guitar with an incredible amount of stuff in it.  I believe it was his recording guitar.
Patrick

that is the one:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=56.0

image149.jpg

Most versatile pickup combo and wiring scheme is the H-S-H (RWRP single coil) with the Steve Vai "Split-5" wiring. It's also quite simple, and simplicity is always a good thing.

Street Avenger said:
Most versatile pickup combo and wiring scheme is the H-S-H (RWRP single coil) with the Steve Vai "Split-5" wiring. It's also quite simple, and simplicity is always a good thing.

Yeah, I would agree with that.  Splitting coils changes the equation.

By versatile, do you mean a pickup combo that suits the most genres, or the most sounds total, or something else?

IMHO, it's a no-brainer that an HSH layout with coil splitting would at least give you the most sound options.  That's without going down the road of convoluted wiring schemes like on that Bellamy guitar (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Marko said:
that is the one:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=56.0

image149.jpg

I remember this from my lurker days. Truly a masterpiece in guitar making. Whatever happened to that guy?

Bruno said:
In your opinion, what is the most versatile pickups combo on a solid body guitar?
:icon_scratch: ...  You seem to be missing one. XSS

This one ..... of Andy Gill's from 'Gang Of Four'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2JVX1ExGaM&feature=fvst

Oh Gee Whiz ..... another one to make someday :icon_biggrin:

Updown said:
Bruno said:
:icon_scratch: ...  You seem to be missing one. XSS

I would say more than one: S-x-S (Blackmore), x-x-H (like frist Van Halen), H-x-S (Mike Stern) and...

:party07:

While I have  the gamut of strat/tele/les paul  I find the one on my latest to be the most versatile :  PRS Dragon Neck , Di marzio  V p90 mid and Tone Zone P90 bridge all with coil tap/series / parallel and a blender with 5 switch and EMC  SPC to be as veratile as I can imagine ever needing.

Back