Moonster update

Marky

It's been a long challenging day. Wow did I set myself a steep hill to climb for my first outing in wiring. It took hours and is a bit more untidy than I would like - but it works (after a minor hiccup forgetting to ground the jack  :doh:
Electric specs as follows:
Triple shots on both humbuckers giving options for parallel, series or selecting either coil.
Push pull phase switch using the much discussed CTS type. The picture shows pre-wiring ready to go into the cavity with only the pickup leads to connect. I had a mission to ensure ALL wires were shielded no matter how short and this meant a real bunch up on this pot particularly as several of the very small terminals needed at least 2 connections -I used rg174 cable throughout.
The mini toggle switch in the cavity allows switching between modern and vintage/50's tone or removing the tone circuit completely. It will either be a temporary addition or just stay in there once I decide which option sounds best.
All in all way too many tone options, can't even figure out the maths - but better too many than too few heh  :dontknow:
I chose to put a metal plate into the cavity to use as a common grounding point and install the pots through this and the body. The long shafts left plenty of capacity. A point to note is that the push pull is a close fit for depth in the cavity and has an even longer shaft than the  standard CTS pot.
I installed inserts and bolts to the neck instead of a screw on neck plate. Why do they call screw neck guitars bolt-on? haha!
On the front are my home made pot knobs and toggle switch cap and cowl.
A lot of fettling and fine tuning to do yet but i'm pleased to have overcome the wiring, although it was enjoyable and i've learnt a lot - which in no small part is due to the contributions of those who have gone before me on this site.

Attachments

• Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Body.jpg
    Body.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Guitar.jpg
    Guitar.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Pushpull.jpg
    Pushpull.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
Nice! A Mooncaster is definitely on my todo list and yours just adds to the desire to get one done.

From the stock images of the Mooncaster I never would have considered one, but your build might just change my mind.

Hi Wildbill,

As you may guess I'm no expert when it comes to electric guitars, but in the few days I've been playing i've enjoyed the tonal variations that the triple shots give.

As yet i've still to find my way around what settings sound best for different tunes - a side effect of having so many options, some of which are quite similar.

As reviews point out the switches are small - but they are easy to change and in my opinion better than the alternative of several mini toggle switches.

My limited knowledge of electric guitars is what prompted me to choose triple shots as I had reasonable certainty of being able to alter the sound to my liking - and I don't have the experience to know the best choice between the multitude of pickups out there.

The phase switch is a really good addition as it gives big tonal changes.

Of interest to me is the effect the tone switch that I mounted in the cavity gives - I like it with the tone circuit switched off completely and it gives a surprising boost to output.

The 'roll off' on the tone pots (I used linear taper, type b) seems to all happen in the last few degrees of turn, i'm guessing that's due to my using 0.047uf capacitors.

Thanks. I think I will find out for myself. I have a triple shot sitting in the build box to go on the SD Pearly Gates I am putting in the bridge of my current project. Wasn't sure it was worth installing. The videos posted tend to make me think the changes are subtle but of course that will depend on the amp as well. I have it, so we shall see.

That is a very nice looking piece you put together. Rock on.

Marky said:
The 'roll off' on the tone pots (I used linear taper, type b) seems to all happen in the last few degrees of turn, i'm guessing that's due to my using 0.047uf capacitors.

Actually I would ascribe that to the linear taper of the tone pot; what you describe is exactly what I have experienced with them and is why I prefer audio/log taper for tone controls.

Back