Mooncaster

new-killer-star

The double bound Mooncaster custom build I ordered in April showed up last week and I am more than thrilled with how it turned out…

10Zh98k_d.webp

That does indeed look like a good top you have there. Should look good under a red burst dye.

Wow, she is an absolute beauty! I love it! The flame maple looks very sharp and tasty, can't wait to see it shined-up. The double-binding adds a really nice touch to that model, I hadn't even  thought about doing it that way. That is black binding, right? I got tortoise binding on the neck I just ordered and it is much darker than I expected. In some places you can't even really tell it's a tortoiseshell it's so dark. It still looks great, just not quite as visually interesting as it could be.

What is the body made of, maple? Do you have the neck ready to go, and are you going with the Mooncaster design? I'm not a big fan of the headstock, so I went with the standard warmoth design. I think it will look nice on the MC. 

My Mooncaster is in process, walnut with a quilted maple top  dyed green with tortoise binding but only on the front as I assume it standard.  It will still be a while, but I'm not in a rush!  :bananaguitar:

I look forward to seeing that flame after you have finished it up! You are all so much braver than I am taking the finishing into your own hands! I have been so impressed by the work I have seen from Warmoth I am a-ok letting them do it for me haha!  :redflag:

The body is also made of maple - and it’s double tortoise bound, not black.

The neck will take some work - I haven’t decided the headstock shape yet…

t3CB4Vf_d.webp

Whoa, you are hardcore! Making the neck entirely by yourself? That is so ambitious! I've got the neck I ordered and Warmoth did a wonderful job with it, and I certainly couldn't do anywhere near as good of a job myself!  :icon_scratch:

I thought I saw a little color variation in the binding, but it's hard to tell in the picture (and probably real-life.) IMO the tortoiseshell they use is maybe a little on the dark side - it's pretty hard to tell it's actually tortoiseshell unless you get up close. I was hoping for something a little closer to these glasses for example.

It looks great though, and I am sure it's going to be an awesome guitar. I can't wait to see the finished results! Mooncasters unite! You don't see nearly enough of them!

Amazing body! If it were me I'd do a clear finish or light brown/amber stain.

Nice neck meat too; good luck on the neck build, I'd love to see detailed updates.

That thing looks great!  Can you give us a shot of the backside?  I want to see how they did the binding around the tummy cut.

Gawd Damnnnn that is a beautiful guitar body!!!!!

I've built 3 Warmoths so far.  If I build another, it's a Mooncaster.

Mayfly said:
That thing looks great!  Can you give us a shot of the backside?  I want to see how they did the binding around the tummy cut.

Here’s the back - I think it’s a nice piece of maple… but unfortunately no tummy cut or contoured heel with the double binding - which I think is why you have to ask for it, my double bound mustang was the same way.

This won’t be a fast build I’m not in a rush and I want this one to look nice  - but I’ll work on it next week some and make progress on the stain and the neck I hope.
0dDTHm2_d.webp

Back