Mooncaster SSB

ghotiphry

Here we go.  This thread will likely go necro for a while, fair warning.  I've received the first of it, so here I go.

Concept image:

0rHsZKz.jpg

Out of the box images of the neck.  Another fine construct from Warmoth.  Quartersawn pau ferro!  30" scale.

nVC9vNY.jpg

yjDPTo1.jpg

lY3IAEd.jpg

yAa5m08.jpg

That's all for now!

Delicious! Gotta love Pau Ferro.

I like your neck plate, too. But, I can't decide if that's the right orientation for the moon's reflective part. If you're holding the instrument vertically, it makes sense, but while you're playing it it'll be more or less horizontal, so then it looks less like a crescent moon and more like wineglass with something yucky at the bottom. Or, maybe my imagination is working overtime today... :laughing7:

It's ok. Unless it's already being made, just rotate the artwork 90 degrees.

I know what I'm going to do.  I'm going to get it done like googly-eyes, with a rotating moon, a counterweight, and ball bearings.  Then the moon will always be the correct angle.

tumblr_mqt5b5VCDr1rxhxa1o1_500.gif

ghotiphry said:
I know what I'm going to do.  I'm going to get it done like googly-eyes, with a rotating moon, a counterweight, and ball bearings.  Then the moon will always be the correct angle.

Pretty sure that's how the real moon works, so...

I can't get happy. Maybe a full moon would work better. No orientation to that, unless you're an astronomer type who studies such things.

I want to say, when I received the neck, I was curious.  I held it like if it was attached to a full bass.  The short scale seems very, very comfortable, especially in the frets nearest the headstock.  My fingers don't spread wide enough on a 34" scale sometimes.  Moving large distances quickly can be a stretch.

Cagey said:
I can't get happy. Maybe a full moon would work better. No orientation to that, unless you're an astronomer type who studies such things.

I played around with this.  The crescent looked better to me.  I liked the black space.  Let me revisit and post for opinions.

ghotiphry said:
I want to say, when I received the neck, I was curious.  I held it like if it was attached to a full bass.  The short scale seems very, very comfortable, especially in the frets nearest the headstock.  My fingers don't spread wide enough on a 34" scale sometimes.  Moving large distances quickly can be a stretch.

I'm not surprised. Changing scale on a bass is pretty dramatic relative to changing scale on a guitar. Inches vs. fractions.

Well, how about something like this?  Since I'm only working with black and "white", it has to be high contrast.  It starts to look less like the moon, to me.

jDI69Erl.jpg

ZGTfuNBl.jpg

Back