modifing a Bigsby tremolo

okay, bigsby b6, b7, it doesnt really matter at this point although i think i might have to go with a b6. Unless you think a b7 will fit on an iceman. anyway, here comes the modification i was talking about. Bigsby doesnt make a 7 string model at all (that i know of, if they do and im an idiot please say so) sooooo i want to modify a regualr bigsby to do so. Can i just pull out the bar that acts as a tailpeice, and get a new one lathed, and drilled. Then dipped in chrome? maybe you know someone that can help? maybe you already have done it and you wanna sell me this 7 string bigsby...who knows but all input is appreciated

thanks,

Lee Arnold Guitars

I don't see any reason why you could not perform that mod on a bigsby.  The only issue would be the string spacing, which would end up being much less, possibly creating problems with string friction at the bridge.

If it were me, I'd do it.  If only to say I did it  :icon_biggrin:

Just a word of warning - that 7 string iceman with bigsby (??!?!? - pics please!) is going to have no resale value should you decide it's not your thing....

didnt I see a V with a bigsby on it here in the forum? It had what looked like a flat aluminum bar between the wings holding up the back end of the trem.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
didnt I see a V with a bigsby on it here in the forum? It had what looked like a flat aluminum bar between the wings holding up the back end of the trem.

Brian

Yeah that guy is somewhat famous.  I forget his name.  I think he's partially famous just for doing that goofy mod on his V.

Okay first off. I dont want a Floyd, i want a Bigsby, but thanks for the input. Secondly, thanks for that, the only reason im doing is to say i did it. Thirdly, why no resal value, deffinitly dont get it. please enlighten me. oh yeah, i was worried about string friction to...i plan on using the B6 and moving it pretty far back from the bridge to reduce friction. cross your fingers it works. OKAY, that "dude" with the bigsby on his V. His name is Lonnie Mack, and he not famous for that mod. He is famous becasue he spent his heyday playing guitar with SRV, look up the tune, "if you have to know" its on Lonnie's album "strike like lighting" if you like blues...youll like Mack. By the way. I do not know if i included this or not, but this iceman is a baritone, and its fretless. Its bad guys...black korina/flame maple body with a bubinga neck and a pau ferro fingerboard.

okay here iss the best part. Im in afgahnistan. No pics just yet. I had to get warmoth to open up the neck pocket on the iceman, and doug at soulmate guitars it currently building the neck. So, no pics. But, as soon as the build is done, you guys will be the first ones to see it. Ill post it in the sections about building updates. And no resale value, pfft. two of tou have asked for pics already, and i dont even have all the parts yet

leearnoldguitars said:
Okay first off. I dont want a Floyd, i want a Bigsby, but thanks for the input. Secondly, thanks for that, the only reason im doing is to say i did it. Thirdly, why no resal value, deffinitly dont get it. please enlighten me. oh yeah, i was worried about string friction to...i plan on using the B6 and moving it pretty far back from the bridge to reduce friction. cross your fingers it works. OKAY, that "dude" with the bigsby on his V. His name is Lonnie Mack, and he not famous for that mod. He is famous becasue he spent his heyday playing guitar with SRV, look up the tune, "if you have to know" its on Lonnie's album "strike like lighting" if you like blues...youll like Mack. By the way. I do not know if i included this or not, but this iceman is a baritone, and its fretless. Its bad guys...black korina/flame maple body with a bubinga neck and a pau ferro fingerboard.

Thanks Lee.  I'm not a big blues guy but I'll check it out later.  SRV is a pimp, no doubt.

And this guitar sounds CRAZY... 7 string Afghan baritone fretless iceman with a Bigsby?  What's the point of the Bigsby on a fretless guitar, you can just move your fingers!!  What are you doing in Afghanistan, do you live there or are you in the military or something?

Military. I know you can just mooooove your fingers...but you know. your fudging right. i didnt even consider that. Why dont i just put a falt mount on it. i dont know, you cant really get that bigsby tremolo sound like that. Who knows. Yeah, lonnie mack is one of my heros man. Listen to the whole album. Oh and it wont be a an afgahn guitar by any means. Its getting built in the states. F)&* this country. this guitar should be wicked    :headbang:

Haha.  Well good luck, show us pics, and come home safe soon  :rock-on:

Hey,
Good luck on your Bigsby Iceman.  I am currently doing a build with a Bigsby B5 on a Warmoth Flying V.  I am certainly no expert, but I think you also would need the B5 for your build.  The B5, B50, & B500 are the same models in different colors and are for solid body guitars.  I believe the B6 & B7 are for hollow body type guitars.  However, don't trust me, you can check it out on the Bigsby website:  http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/products.html
They also have a pic with a B5 on a Flying V that looks pretty cool:  http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/gibson_v_pop.html

Anyway, post some pics when she is done.  Sounds sweeeet!

Be safe!  :headbang1:
Bart

Back